This photo provided by the
Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office shows
Christopher Gillum being arrested Wednesday, April 22, 2026, at a hotel in Destin, Fla. (
Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office via AP,File) By JACK BROOK Updated 3:38 AM MESZ, August 13, 2026 Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit
New Orleans (AP) — A former law enforcement officer accused of planning to kill Black people in a mass shooting at a
New Orleans festival was quietly released from custody over the summer after a grand jury found there was not enough evidence to charge him with a crime. A
Louisiana grand jury in June declined to indict
Christopher Gillum on a state terrorism charge that could have carried up to a 15-year sentence, court records show. Gillum, who had been held without bond, was released shortly after the grand jury’s decision and is not facing charges in any other jurisdictions, according to his attorney,
Dylan Utley. He declined to comment further. Gillum’s release has not previously been reported. The 45-year-old ex-police officer, who is from
Chapel Hill,
North Carolina, had been arrested in
Florida in April with hundreds of rounds of ammunition and a handgun while on his way to
Louisiana to commit a mass shooting, according to the
Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office. The investigation had involved the FBI and authorities across
Louisiana,
North Carolina and
Florida. Authorities did not name the event Gillum was allegedly targeting, but his arrest came on the eve of the
New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which attracts hundreds of thousands of festivalgoers annually. Gillum, who is white, had “expressed recent threats to harm ‘Black people’ ”, according to authorities. His family had reported him missing in
North Carolina and said he had a history of self-harm. Special prosecutor drops all felony criminal charges against
Louisiana Attorney General Murrill 3 MIN READ 24 A
Louisiana man is charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a marshal trying to arrest him 3 MIN READ 21 Tropical Storm Bertha makes landfall on southern
Louisiana with threatening winds 3 MIN READ 21
Lester Duhe, a spokesperson for
Louisiana Attorney General
Liz Murrill, said in a statement that Gillum’s family had taken him “to a treatment facility out of the state” and that he is not facing additional criminal charges. Duhe said there were “several jurisdictional issues” that complicated the case after Gillum was extradited to
Louisiana following his arrest. “The threat relayed to a family member actually occurred in
North Carolina,” Duhe said. “The defendant never entered the State of
Louisiana until after his arrest.” Gillum had been planning to travel to the
Florida Keys “during the same period he would have been suspected to travel to
Louisiana,” Duhe added. Gillum was charged under a
Louisiana statute for the crime of “terrorizing,” which requires that “a crime of violence is imminent or in progress or that a circumstance dangerous to human life exists or is about to exist.” Jonathan Guidry, the foreperson for the grand jury, declined to comment on the decision to not indict Gillum. Katherine Schweit, a former Chicago prosecutor and FBI executive who ran the agency’s active shooter program, said that thwarted acts of mass violence do not always lead to indictments, but prosecutors often seek an array of criminal charges when possible. “It’s very difficult to convince a jury, or to convince a grand jury, that something might have happened,” Schweit told The Associated Press. Law enforcement authorities in
North Carolina, where
Louisiana court records list Gillum as residing, told the AP that they were not aware he had been released from custody. “If we’ve got an individual that was accused of such an action, we would want to know if in fact he did return to Alamance County,” said Byron Tucker, a spokesperson for the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office in
North Carolina. Nazneen Ahmed, a spokesperson for
North Carolina Attorney General Jeff Jackson, said there are no plans for the state to pursue charges against Gillum. The office of the
Florida Attorney General did not respond to a request for comment about whether Gillum may face additional criminal charges in its jurisdiction. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of
Louisiana also did not return messages seeking comment. In a statement, the FBI
New Orleans office said the decision whether to charge Gillum rested with prosecutors. The
New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival declined to comment. Brook is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues. JACK BROOK Based in
New Orleans, Brook covers
Louisiana with a focus on state government, environmental issues and infrastructure. He is a Report for America corps member and can be reached on the secure messaging app Signal at jackbrook.88 twitter instagram mailto