Ukraine has proposed a deal with
Russia for both sides to halt their attacks on civilian ships in the
Black Sea in an apparent attempt to reopen a crucial
grain corridor, Reuters reports.Kyiv is said to have made the offer through a third party. Moscow has yet to respond, the news agency added. The busy waterway is a key export route for both
Russia and
Ukraine, used to transport grain and other vital foodstuffs worldwide.Since July
Ukraine has effectively closed the route for commercial Russian shipping. Its drones have hit nearly 220 vessels in the
Sea of Azov and
Black Sea, including oil tankers, grain cargo ships and passenger ferries.The campaign has forced
Russia to suspend shipping through a canal that connects the Caspian Sea with the
Sea of Azov via a Russian river network. The route goes through the Kerch strait between occupied Crimea and
Russia, and leads on to the Bosphorus strait in
Turkey.During the same period,
Russia has escalated its attacks on
Ukraine’s southern ports, dealing a severe blow to the country’s agricultural sector. About 90% of grain and sunflower shipments leave from Odesa, and the neighbouring harbours of Chornomorsk and Pivdenne.Smoke rises from a ship damaged by a purported Russian attack in the
Black Sea last month. Photograph: Ukrinform/ShutterstockIn July Russian drones killed 10 sailors soon after their Turkish-owned grain carrier, the Golden Leo, set off from Odesa. Many of the victims were from
Syria and
India. Another 16 port workers and sailors have died in other recent strikes.Kyiv’s reported overture appears to be pragmatic, allowing both sides to resume shipments that are crucial to international
food security. It comes as the country’s harvest season begins and with shipping from Ukrainian ports at a virtual standstill.The offer also follows a report in the FT that the US vice-president,
JD Vance, had asked
Ukraine’s president
Volodymyr Zelenskyy to cease some attacks on the Russian
Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.In a phone call on 31 July, Vance complained that Ukrainian strikes on tankers carrying oil from Kazakhstan were hurting US companies and destabilising oil prices. He told Zelenskyy to stop them, the newspaper said, citing unnamed Ukrainian officials.Zelenskyy’s office has not commented, but Kyiv is in the middle of delicate negotiations with the Trump administration. It is seeking US-manufactured Patriot interceptors to defend Ukrainian cities from rampant Russian ballistic missile and drone swarms.Since the phone call,
Ukraine’s unmanned systems forces have not attacked ships carrying oil from Kazakhstan via the Caspian Pipeline Consortium terminal. But they have continued to pound other targets in Novorossiysk, which is home to
Russia’s
Black Sea naval fleet.On Wednesday Zelenskyy hailed a “massive” combined attack on the port, featuring rockets, jets and sea drones. He said
Ukraine had taken out Russian warships, including two frigates, a large landing ship, a corvette and other vessels. They had been “hiding” in Novorossiysk Bay, he wrote on Telegram.Other targets included two major grain export terminals, it was reported. Russian officials said three people, including a child, were killed. “It is entirely justified that
Ukraine is responding to
Russia’s war, and it is
Russia that can and must bring this war to an end,” Zelenskyy posted.The two sides have previously signed an agreement, brokered by
Turkey and the UN, to stop maritime attacks. The
Black Sea grain initiative lasted from July 2022 to July 2023. It ended when the Kremlin refused to renew it, complaining that western sanctions were damaging
Russia’s agricultural sector.
Ukraine subsequently reopened the route unilaterally, using sea drones to sink Russian ships using the north-west part of the
Black Sea. Most vessels in
Russia’s
Black Sea fleet were forced to relocate from the exposed occupied Crimean port of Sevastopol to Novorossiysk.