By SYLVIA HUI Updated 5:26 PM MESZ, August 16, 2026 Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit
London (AP) — The
BBC asked a U.S. court for help in getting documents and testimony from members of U.S. President
Donald Trump ‘s family in connection with his $10-billion defamation lawsuit against the British broadcaster, a court document showed. Lawyers for the
BBC argued that
Ivanka Trump, her husband
Jared Kushner, and
Donald Trump, Jr. have “personal knowledge” and likely have records relevant to elements of Trump’s claims against the broadcaster, according to a filing Friday in federal court in
Florida. The broadcaster has been unable to serve subpoenas because the three have
Secret Service protection and other security personnel around them, the filing says. Trump filed the lawsuit in December seeking $10 billion in damages from the
BBC, accusing it of defamation as well as deceptive and unfair trade practices. The allegations center on the way a 2024 documentary edited a speech Trump gave on Jan. 6, 2021, before protesters attacked the Capitol in Washington. The lawsuit accuses the
BBC of “splicing together two entirely separate parts of President Trump’s speech” to “intentionally misrepresent the meaning of what President Trump said.” It added that the editing was “a brazen attempt to interfere in and influence” the 2024 U.S. presidential election. The
BBC has apologized to Trump for the misleading edit, but said it had not defamed him. Plaintiff Trump gets reprieve from an order to disclose his finances in
BBC case — but only for now 2 MIN READ 247 Jared Leto denies sexual assault allegations described in
BBC documentary 2 MIN READ 247 Groups sue the Trump administration over its targeting of the
International Criminal Court 2 MIN READ 247 The latest court filing said that Trump’s family members had knowledge of issues that were relevant to Trump’s argument “that it would be materially false to imply that he incited violence” on Jan. 6, 2021. It cited that
Donald Trump, Jr. and
Ivanka Trump were both present in the Oval Office when Trump was still revising his speech, adding that
Donald Trump, Jr. spoke directly with his father after violence had broken out at the Capitol. The filing says the
BBC asked Trump to accept the subpoenas on his daughter and son-in-law’s behalf or to direct the
Secret Service to allow the subpoenas to be served, but he refused. The broadcaster asked the court to allow the subpoenas to be served by email and certified mail. The judge has given Trump’s legal team until Friday to respond to the
BBC’s request. Trump’s legal team said that “the
BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability.” “The
BBC intentionally defamed President Donald J. Trump, and now the
BBC is seeking to harass him, his family, and supporters by abusing the deposition process,” according to the team. A trial has been provisionally set for February in the case. Last week, a federal judge in
Florida granted Trump a temporary reprieve from an order that he provide details of his business empire’s financial performance as part of the lawsuit. U.S. District Judge Roy Altman agreed to put that order on hold while he considers an amended complaint from Trump that would narrow his claim that he suffered damage to both business and reputation. Associated Press journalists Kate Brumback in Atlanta, Georgia, and Alanna Durkin Richer in Washington contributed to this report. SYLVIA HUI Hui, based in
London, reports on UK news for The Associated Press with particular interest in foreign and social affairs and human rights. twitter mailto