Israel’s Minister of National Security,
Itamar Ben-Gvir, prays during the mourning ritual of Tisha B’Av at the
Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest site, in
Jerusalem’s Old City, Wednesday, July 22, 2026. (
AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg) By JULIA FRANKEL Updated 4:17 PM MESZ, August 16, 2026 Add
AP News on Google Add
AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit
Jerusalem (
AP) — An extremist Israeli lawmaker in Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition publicly advocated for killing “30 to 40” people in Gaza each night, comments that surfaced Sunday and were quickly shared by Palestinian media. Minister of National Security
Itamar Ben-Gvir made the statement while speaking to a former Gaza-held hostage,
Rom Braslavski, on Braslavski’s podcast. The two were discussing
Israel’s recovery from the
Hamas attack of
Oct. 7, 2023, when Ben-Gvir criticized
Israel’s recent drawdown of strikes in Gaza. “It’s no secret, I disagree with the prime minister,” he said. “I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night. Not just those who pose an immediate threat — there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn’t live. They’re not even people.” In the past, similar statements by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials were widely condemned. Many have been presented to the
UN’s world court as evidence of genocidal intent.
Israel denies it has committed genocide in Gaza.
Israel’s domestic media has made scarce mention of the statement, highlighting how once-fringe ideologies like Ben-Gvir’s are surging in the leadup to
Israeli elections Oct. 27. Figures like Ben-Gvir have become more popular among Israelis since
Hamas’ brutal attack in 2023, when the militants killed about 1,200 people and took 251 hostage. Many hostages have recounted long-term starvation, physical and psychological abuse and, in some cases, sexual abuse. A high-stakes test for Trump’s Gaza ceasefire board as
Hamas disarmament looms 4 MIN READ 194
Hamas says it will disarm if
Israel halts strikes and withdraws from Gaza, but obstacles remain 1 MIN READ There’s a reason why
Israel has done little to rein in settler violence. It’s not just Netanyahu 1 MIN READ Ben-Gvir oversees
Israel’s police force and prisons Ben-Gvir does not have power over the country’s military and cannot order strikes on Gaza. But, after operating for decades within
Israel’s far-right fringe, he is now one of the most influential people in the country. He has substantial control over key parts of
Israel’s security apparatus, running the country’s prisons — where thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the West Bank are incarcerated — as well as the national police force. He has previously boasted of lessening food rations for Palestinian prisoners.
Israel’s top court ruled in 2025 that the prison service under Ben-Gvir was depriving Palestinians of a minimum subsistence diet. Ben-Gvir criticizes drawdown of Israeli strikes in Gaza Until recently,
Israel was striking Gaza nearly every day, attacks that have killed over 1,250 people since an October truce deal came into effect, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.
Israel’s military, which says the strikes have targeted
Hamas militants, appeared to ease off on the attacks in a quiet concession to U.S. President Donald Trump after Netanyahu rejected the president’s latest attempt to move the truce forward. Israeli media last week reported that the authority for carrying out strikes has now been limited to the army’s chief of staff, raising the ire of right-wing lawmakers such as Ben-Gvir. Ben Gvir advocates mass emigration, expulsion of Palestinians from Gaza In the same taped appearance, the lawmaker advocated for mass emigration of Palestinians from Gaza — a proposal that international lawyers say could amount to ethnic cleansing — and resettlement of Gaza by
Israel. Twenty years ago,
Israel withdrew from the
Gaza Strip, dismantling a block of 21 Jewish settlements known as “Gush Katif” and pulling out its forces. “I see all of Gaza as ours,” said Ben-Gvir in the interview. “Settlements not just in Gush Katif but throughout Gaza, encouraging as much emigration as possible, sending them to their countries, and for the terrorists, no emigration, nothing, just to kill them one by one.” Trump’s latest proposal involves
Hamas gradually giving up its weapons while Israeli forces halt their attacks and begin withdrawing from Gaza.
Hamas accepted the deal, although the group linked the surrender of its heaviest weapons to the creation of a Palestinian state, something
Israel’s current government and most of its political class adamantly reject. Netanyahu says
Israel will not retreat from any of its positions in Gaza until
Hamas has been completely disarmed. The stance leaves other elements of the ceasefire, including the deployment of international forces and any reconstruction of the devastated territory, on hold. JULIA FRANKEL Frankel, based in
Jerusalem, has reported from across
Israel and the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Her reporting focuses on war, human rights, displacement and criminal justice. twitter mailto