Kushner has a rare meeting with
Hamas’ leader on the
Gaza road map. A meeting with Netanyahu is next 1 of 2 | Palestinians remove iron from the rubble of buildings destroyed by Israeli airstrikes during the war with
Hamas, repair and recycle it for construction, building tents or selling it, in Gaza City, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi) 2 of 2 |
Jared Kushner waits to walk into the ring after the lightweight championship bout at UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House, June 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File) By SAMY MAGDY, JULIA FRANKEL and CARA ANNA Updated 8:07 PM MESZ, August 16, 2026 Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit CAIRO (AP) — U.S. negotiator and President
Donald Trump ‘s son-in-law
Jared Kushner held a rare meeting with the
Hamas chief on Sunday in a new diplomatic effort to make progress in the stalled Gaza ceasefire. Kushner will meet with
Israel’s prime minister on Monday. The talks aim to salvage the new 15-point, U.S.-backed road map for
Hamas to disarm in Gaza and
Israel to withdraw from the Palestinian territory shattered by war. At stake are the lives of some 2 million people in Gaza and the reconstruction of the crowded enclave now largely controlled by Israeli forces, more than 10 months since the ceasefire ended major military operations. A meeting between Kushner, fellow envoy Steve Witkoff and
Hamas leaders in
Egypt last year helped clinch the ceasefire, whose progress until now had been stalled over the key issue of
Hamas’ disarmament. The rare meeting in
Egypt with
Hamas’
Khalil al-Hayya was confirmed by a regional official and a
Hamas official, both speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters. Kushner was one of a trio of envoys meeting with al-Hayya, with officials from mediating countries
Egypt, Qatar and Turkey also there. Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu last week rejected the 15-point plan in a rare public show of defiance against the Trump administration,
Israel’s closest ally. Now Kushner, former British prime minister
Tony Blair and the director of the U.S.-created Board of Peace overseeing the ceasefire,
Nickolay Mladenov, are set to meet with Netanyahu on Monday, according to a source familiar with the plans and a diplomatic source. Both spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a closed-door meeting. Top US commander visits aircraft carrier, Gaza talks in
Egypt and other Mideast news 4 MIN READ 281 A high-stakes test for Trump’s Gaza ceasefire board as
Hamas disarmament looms 3 MIN READ 77
Jared Kushner to visit
Israel and
Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza 3 MIN READ 77 Regional powers accuse
Israel of obstructing peace efforts Ahead of Monday’s meeting, several regional powers including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates issued a statement condemning
Israel’s rejection of the road map, saying that “
Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza.” Other signers included Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia and the ceasefire mediators. The statement by foreign ministers also called on the Board of Peace and the U.S. to take “immediate and concrete measures” to keep any party from obstructing the plan’s implementation. Kushner’s meeting with the
Hamas leader aimed at ensuring the militant group’s commitment to the road map, particularly disarmament, before his meeting with Netanyahu, the regional official said. The
Hamas official said the group is committed and waiting for mediators to start the 14-day negotiation period to work out a timetable for implementation. That period requires all parties’ approval of the road map to begin. The
Hamas official also said the
Hamas leader demanded that
Israel halt its attacks on Gaza and withdraw to the so-called “yellow line” dividing the territory before beginning implementation. The yellow line was never precisely defined. Israeli forces have moved beyond it and now control about 60% of Gaza. In May, Netanyahu said the next step was to move to 70% control, with
Israel “tightening the grip” on
Hamas “from every direction.” The White House referred questions about Kushner’s meetings to the Board of Peace, which did not immediately comment. The
Tony Blair Institute did not comment. Under the road map,
Hamas would hand over weapons to the Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee daily operations in the territory. The committee has not yet entered Gaza. But
Hamas has linked the surrender of its heaviest weapons to the creation of a Palestinian state, something
Israel’s current government rejects. The road map involves
Hamas gradually giving up its weapons while Israeli forces halt attacks and begin withdrawing from Gaza. But Netanyahu says
Israel will not retreat from any position in Gaza until
Hamas has been completely disarmed. That stance leaves other elements of the ceasefire, including reconstruction and the deployment of international forces to separate Israeli forces from committee-controlled areas, on hold. Netanyahu faces a challenging election on Oct. 27 as he tries to hold on to power with a coalition that includes ministers taking a harsh line on Gaza, and it’s not clear whether he will take decisive steps on the ceasefire before then. Also coming up is the anniversary of the Oct. 7, 2023,
Hamas-led attack on southern
Israel that sparked the war. Netanyahu’s Likud party on Sunday responded to the statement by regional powers by claiming that “Arab states want to topple” Netanyahu so that centrist challenger Gadi Eisenkot and center-left party leader Yair Golan “will give them everything they want. That will not happen.” Frankel reported from Jerusalem and Anna from Lowville, New York. Collin Binkley in Washington and Sylvia Hui in London contributed. SAMY MAGDY Magdy is a Middle East reporter for The Associated Press, based in Cairo. He focuses on conflict, migration and human rights abuses. twitter facebook mailto JULIA FRANKEL Frankel, based in Jerusalem, has reported from across
Israel and the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Her reporting focuses on war, human rights, displacement and criminal justice. twitter mailto CARA ANNA Anna is an editor on the AP’s Global Desk. She has reported from Africa, China, Ukraine, Afghanistan and the United Nations. mailto