Colombian president asks Trump to suspend
tariffs to help
earthquake recovery 1 of 2 | A crane lifts a concrete slab to clear the way for rescuers searching through the rubble three days after an
earthquake hit
Pereira,
Colombia, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. (
AP Photo/
Brandon Pinto) 2 of 2 | Rescuers carry the body of a victim from the rubble four days after after an
earthquake hit
Pereira,
Colombia, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (
AP Photo/
Brandon Pinto) 1 of 2 | A crane lifts a concrete slab to clear the way for rescuers searching through the rubble three days after an
earthquake hit
Pereira,
Colombia, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. (
AP Photo/
Brandon Pinto) 1 of 2 A crane lifts a concrete slab to clear the way for rescuers searching through the rubble three days after an
earthquake hit
Pereira,
Colombia, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. (
AP Photo/
Brandon Pinto) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share 2 of 2 | Rescuers carry the body of a victim from the rubble four days after after an
earthquake hit
Pereira,
Colombia, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (
AP Photo/
Brandon Pinto) 2 of 2 Rescuers carry the body of a victim from the rubble four days after after an
earthquake hit
Pereira,
Colombia, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (
AP Photo/
Brandon Pinto) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share BOGOTÁ,
Colombia (AP) —
Colombia’s President
Abelardo de la Espriella has asked his ally U.S. President
Donald Trump to suspend
tariffs to help the South American nation recover from a powerful
earthquake that killed at least 289 people.De la Espriella took office earlier this month just days before the 7.4 magnitude quake struck. He was backed by Trump in
Colombia’s closely contested presidential election, which was decided in a runoff on June 21, and has sought to emphasize his connections with the U.S. leader.On Saturday night, de la Espriella wrote on
X that he spoke with Trump and thanked him for aid sent by the U.S. in response to the
earthquake. He added that he “asked him to consider the temporary suspension of the high
tariffs that affect Colombian products, in order to provide relief to our businesspeople, who are facing very difficult times due to the effects of the
earthquake.” There has been no immediate response from the Trump administration to de la Espriella’s request. The U.S. has offered a total of $26.5 million in
earthquake aid, including food, shelters and health supplies, according to the U.S. State Department. The
earthquake that struck Monday morning devastated parts of western
Colombia, hitting cities including
Pereira, Cali and Quibdo. Cities along the country’s Pacific coast were hit particularly hard. The president declared the quake a natural disaster. 5 MIN READ 4 MIN READ 5 MIN READ The government has said that 143 people are missing, while other civilian-run databases put the number in the thousands. The natural disaster, whose epicenter was in one of the poorest regions of the country, Choco, has so far left 3,937 people injured, according to the government. In addition, it destroyed 14,705 homes and damaged another 81,536.In Cali,
Colombia’s third biggest city, workers searched for the more than 70 people reported missing in that city. Hope remained alive even after the key 48 to 72 hour window to find survivors beneath the rubble has long passed.“Miracles do happen” even though more than 120 hours have passed since the
earthquake struck, said Cali Mayor Alejandro Eder from the unified command post. “We are working where we know there are still victims; we are working in the hope of rescuing people alive.”