Palestinian American returns to
West Bank to defend his home under siege by
Israeli settlers 1 of 2 |
Israeli settlers patrol a road in front of besieged Palestinian houses, in the occupied
West Bank village of
Qusra, south of
Nablus, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed) 2 of 2 | Israeli army soldiers patrol the streets of the occupied
West Bank village of
Qusra, south of
Nablus, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed) 1 of 2 |
Israeli settlers patrol a road in front of besieged Palestinian houses, in the occupied
West Bank village of
Qusra, south of
Nablus, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed) 1 of 2
Israeli settlers patrol a road in front of besieged Palestinian houses, in the occupied
West Bank village of
Qusra, south of
Nablus, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share 2 of 2 | Israeli army soldiers patrol the streets of the occupied
West Bank village of
Qusra, south of
Nablus, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed) 2 of 2 Israeli army soldiers patrol the streets of the occupied
West Bank village of
Qusra, south of
Nablus, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Updated [hour]:[minute] [AMPM] [timezone], [monthFull] [day], [year]
Qusra,
West Bank (AP) — The Palestinian American whose home in the occupied
West Bank has been besieged by
Israeli settlers for over a week traveled to his property on Monday to join other family members who have been defending it.The standoff, in the village of
Qusra, has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian houses and prevent residents from leaving. The
United States has condemned the siege and the
Israeli military has deployed troops it says are there to maintain order. The siege of Palestinian homes by
Israeli settlers comes as violence in the
West Bank has soared in recent months. The settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu’s right-wing government, have ramped up attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, harassing residents and setting homes, mosques and fields ablaze.As
Loui Ridi, an
Ohio-based owner of one of the houses, landed in
Israel, settlers were still roaming near
Qusra, according to video footage taken by his brother. It showed them driving ATVs and speaking to soldiers. “I’m terrified for my brother and his son and their safety,” Ridi told reporters at
Israel’s main international airport. “And now I’m going to have to fear for my own safety.” Ridi arrived in
Qusra late Monday night. 5 MIN READ 5 MIN READ 5 MIN READ As he waited for
Israel’s military to escort him to his home on the village’s outskirts, Ridi said little had changed since early last week, when the siege began. His brother’s footage still showed the soldiers interacting amicably with settlers in
Qusra rather than arresting them.When Ridi finally reached his home, he was greeted by his brother and teenage nephew, who have stayed inside to protect the property from the settlers. He exited his car carrying an American flag while settlers were still visible from the home’s security cameras. The village is about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of
Nablus.
Israel declared the neighborhood where Ridi’s home is located a closed military zone last week. According to Palestinian health officials, Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year. Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two who were killed in the
West Bank village of Tell last month. __ Metz reported from Tel Aviv,
Israel.