China moves to wrap up saga of troubled property giant
Evergrande after founder gets life sentence 1 of 3 | Una mujer camina junto a un mapa que muestra proyectos inmobiliarios de
Evergrande en
China, mientras se dirige a la plaza urbana
Evergrande en Beijing el 18 de septiembre de 2023. (AP Foto/
Andy Wong, Archivo) 2 of 3 | In this handout photo released by Xinhua News Agency,
Hui Ka Yan, also known as
Xu Jiayin, founder of property developer
Evergrande stands trial at the
Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court in
Shenzhen, south
China’s Guangdong Province, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (
Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court/Xinhua via AP) 3 of 3 | FILE -A worker collects trash in a partially shuttered
Evergrande commercial complex, on the day
Hong Kong Stock Exchange delisted the Chinese property developer
China Evergrande, in Beijing,
China, Aug. 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Mahesh Kumar A., File) By CHAN HO-HIM Updated 12:58 PM MESZ, August 21, 2026 Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit
Hong Kong (AP) — Chinese authorities are moving to finish cleaning up the mess left by the collapse of the
Evergrande real estate empire, years after its default with some $300 billion in liabilities. A court in southern
China’s
Guangzhou said Friday it had accepted a
bankruptcy liquidation case against
Evergrande’s mainland Chinese property development unit, which according to industry data accounted for much of the group’s overall debt. That came a day after a court in the city of
Shenzhen sentenced
China Evergrande’s 67-year-old founder Hui Kan Yan to life in prison for
financial crimes. On the same day, dozens of others tied to the group, including Hui’s sons, also were sentenced to prison terms of up to 18 years. The latest developments suggest that the Chinese government “may already have a road map” for wrapping up the
Evergrande saga, said
Foreky Wong, a founding partner at
Fortune Ark Restructuring and a restructuring specialist. “They will need to do these (steps) sooner or later,” he said. However, he added, “
Evergrande is such a big company. Its bankruptcy proceedings will last for a while.” Chinese court sentences founder of troubled property developer
Evergrande to life in prison 3 MIN READ What to know about the trial of former Tiananmen vigil organizers before a verdict 3 MIN READ 2 organizers of
Hong Kong’s Tiananmen vigils convicted in national security case 3 MIN READ What remains unclear is how long it will take to get the real estate market, once a main locomotive of
China’s economic boom and accounted for approximately a quarter of
China’s economy as recent as a few years ago, back on track.
Evergrande collapsed after Chinese regulators cracked down on excessive borrowing in the real estate industry in 2020. That brought on a wave of failures of other developers and a prolonged downturn in the housing market. Home prices have fallen roughly 20% or more since 2021 and so far there have been scant signs of a solid recovery. Supply still outstrips demand in many smaller cities, while a wider economic slowdown is weighing on people’s spending power. Once deemed “too big to fail,”
Evergrande became the world’s most indebted developer. It’s taking years to wind up those debts. In 2024, after failing to reach an agreement with its creditors, a
Hong Kong court eventually ordered the liquidation of
Evergrande group, its holding company which was listed in
Hong Kong and incorporated in the Cayman Islands. Nearly five years after the company’s first default on its debts, industry experts say the liquidation progress will likely be a lengthy one.
Hong Kong and mainland
China operate under different legal systems and most of
Evergrande’s assets are in mainland
China, the location of most of its operations. So,
Hong Kong court-appointed liquidators have a limited capacity to claw back its assets and help creditors recover what they are owed. “There are lots of interesting legal questions thrown up by this PRC (the People’s Republic of
China) ruling that will take some time to play out,” said Jonathan Leitch, a partner specialized in restructuring at the law firm Hogan Lovells Cadwalader. That includes whether there will be other claims against Hui’s assets competing with claims that the
Hong Kong liquidators are pursuing, Leitch said. Liquidators and courts are going after Hui’s fortune In announcing the lifetime prison sentence for Hui, who is also known as
Xu Jiayin and was at one time said to be
China’s richest man, the
Shenzhen court ordered that his personal assets be confiscated.
Hong Kong-based liquidators from the restructuring firm Alvarez and Marsal have sought to locate and recover the assets of
Evergrande, Hui and others tied to the company. A
Hong Kong judge earlier prohibited Hui from disposing of his worldwide assets of some $7.7 billion. The liquidators also have been seeking $8.4 billion from accounting firm PwC over its role in auditing
Evergrande’s financial statements before its collapse. Investigations by authorities in
Hong Kong and mainland
China found
Evergrande had overstated its revenues by roughly $80 billion over 2019 and 2020 by manipulating financial data. In 2024, mainland authorities fined PwC, one of the world’s largest accounting firms, around $62 million over its
Evergrande audits.
Hong Kong authorities said in April that PwC was paying a separate $166 million in fines and compensation.
Evergrande’s creditors will likely recover a fraction of what’s owed. Wong of
Fortune Ark Restructuring expects what while the amounts might be large, they will likely figure in the single digit percentages of
Evergrande’s liabilities. CHAN HO-HIM Chan writes about business and economy in
China for The Associated Press, reporting on key sectors of the world’s second-largest economy from trade and technology to autos. He is based in
Hong Kong. mailto