These are the key developments from day 1,443 of
Russia’s war on
Ukraine.Published On 6 Feb 2026Here is where things stand on Friday, February 6:Fighting Nighttime shelling by Ukrainian forces inflicted “serious damage” on the Russian city of
Belgorod, the region’s Governor
Vyacheslav Gladkov said. “The enemy has shelled the civilian city of
Belgorod. Everyone knows we have no military targets. There has been serious damage. I have been out to look around,” Gladkov said on the Telegram messaging app. Two people were hurt in a Russian overnight drone attack in
Ukraine’s capital
Kyiv, the city’s Mayor
Vitali Klitschko said. Klitschko said the attack caused damage in residential buildings in one district, and in another, debris from a destroyed drone fell on the roof of an office building, causing a fire. Debris also fell close to a shopping centre and caused damage to a kindergarten.
Ukraine’s air force said
Russia launched two ballistic missiles and 183 drones at
Ukraine overnight on Thursday, with air defence units shooting down 156 of the unmanned aerial vehicles. The
Russian Ministry of Defence said its air defences downed 95 Ukrainian drones overnight across several regions inside
Russia as well as over the
Azov Sea and the Russian-annexed Ukrainian territory of
Crimea.
Russia carried out a “massive” drone attack on railway infrastructure in
Ukraine’s northern Sumy region, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister
Oleksii Kuleba said. Railway energy infrastructure was also targeted in the attack, Kuleba said. “The enemy is trying to stop train traffic,” Kuleba said, describing the attack as “another act of terrorism” against Ukrainian logistics.
Ukraine’s military said it carried out a series of “successful” strikes in January on a launch site for Russian intermediate-range ballistic missiles. The strikes hit a complex of hangar-type buildings used for the prelaunch preparation of intermediate-range and intercontinental ballistic missiles,
Ukraine’s General Staff said on Telegram without specifying the date of the attack. In his nightly address on Thursday,
Ukraine’s President
Volodymyr Zelenskyy referred to the “good results” from the
Ukraine" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="25820" data-entity-type="organization">Security Service of
Ukraine, singling out an attack by Ukrainian-made long-range Flamingo missiles on the testing ground for
Russia’s Oreshnik hypersonic missiles near the Caspian Sea. Starlink internet terminals used by Russian forces in
Ukraine have been deactivated,
Kyiv’s defence minister said. Russian military bloggers on Thursday reported sweeping outages of Starlink internet terminals across the
Ukraine front, after network owner Elon Musk shut them down following a plea from
Kyiv. At least nine bloggers close to the Russian army said connections had been lost, adding that this could weaken Moscow’s ability to wage drone warfare and hinder coordination between units. Moscow does not have a home-produced alternative to the satellite internet terminals.
Ukraine is now registering its civilian and military Starlink users on a database, allowing approved devices to function while unregistered terminals are disabled inside
Ukraine. Peace talks
Ukraine and
Russia agreed on Thursday, after two days of trilateral talks with the United States in Abu Dhabi, to hold further discussions in the coming weeks, according to a communique issued by
Ukraine’s top negotiator. The communique expressed thanks to the United Arab Emirates for organising the meeting and to US President Donald Trump for “his leadership in advancing efforts to end the war”. Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff said the delegations from the US,
Ukraine and
Russia had agreed to an exchange of 314 prisoners of war, which took place on Thursday. It was the first such swap in five months.
Russia and
Ukraine exchanged 157 prisoners of war each, the Russian Defence Ministry said. Three civilians from the Kursk region were also returned to
Russia. President Zelenskyy said some of the released POWs had been held for nearly four years. He said the next round of talks would be held soon, likely in the US. Witkoff, writing on the X social media platform, said: “The discussions were constructive and focused on how to create the conditions for a durable peace.” Military aid Poland is preparing a new 200 million zloty ($55.9m) aid package for
Ukraine, mainly made up of armoured equipment, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Thursday during a visit to
Kyiv. Tusk also said that Poland could give
Ukraine MiG-29 fighter jets at any time, but that Zelenskyy had told him
Kyiv may need other air-defence equipment as a higher priority, and that he would discuss this with Polish officials and get back to the Ukrainian president. After his talks with Tusk, Zelenskyy repeated his pleas for air-defence missiles and said
Kyiv was ready to swap its drones, in which it has become a global leader, for missiles from allies or for Poland’s Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets. Slovak prosecutors on Thursday shut down investigations initiated by Prime Minister Robert Fico’s government that claimed donations of fighter jets and air defence systems by the previous Slovak administration to
Ukraine were a crime. Bratislava regional prosecutor Rastislav Remeta said that the dozen Soviet-era MiG-29 jets and the S-300 and KUB air defence systems donated to
Ukraine were outdated, not fully operational and lacked missiles as well as pilots. He said their donation was not a crime, as alleged by Fico and his aides. Sanctions US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said further US sanctions against
Russia depend on talks aimed at ending the nearly four-year-old
Ukraine war. Bessent said he would consider new sanctions against
Russia’s shadow fleet – a step Trump has not taken since returning to office in January 2025. “I will take it under consideration. We will see where the peace talks go,” Bessent said.