NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence
SRCNew York Times - World
LANGEN
LEANCenter-Left
WORDS1 095
ENT3
MON · 2025-12-01 · 16:47 GMTBRIEF NSR-2025-1201-427
News/Hong Kong Holds Vote as Officials Move A/Hong Kong Contractors Used Unsafe Netting at Fire Site, Offi…
NSR-2025-1201-427News Report·EN·Human Interest

Hong Kong Contractors Used Unsafe Netting at Fire Site, Officials Say

Hong Kong officials announced that contractors used substandard scaffolding netting at the Wang Fuk Court housing estate, where a fire killed over 150 people on Wednesday. After a summer typhoon, cheaper, non-fire-safe netting was installed, and standard netting was placed at the base to deceive inspectors.

Alexandra Stevenson, Joy Dong and Selam GebrekidanNew York Times - WorldFiled 2025-12-01 · 16:47 GMTLean · Center-LeftRead · 5 min
NEW YORK TIMES - WORLD
Reading time
5min
Word count
1 095words
Sources cited
3cited
Entities identified
3entities
Quality score
100%
§ 01

Briefing Summary

AI-generated
NEWSAR · AI

Hong Kong officials announced that contractors used substandard scaffolding netting at the Wang Fuk Court housing estate, where a fire killed over 150 people on Wednesday. After a summer typhoon, cheaper, non-fire-safe netting was installed, and standard netting was placed at the base to deceive inspectors. The Independent Commission Against Corruption is investigating the incident, which occurred in northern Hong Kong. The discovery raises concerns about construction industry oversight and the use of other flammable materials, such as polystyrene foam boards. The death toll continues to rise, and authorities are still working to identify remains, a process expected to take several weeks.

Confidence 0.90Sources 3Claims 5Entities 3
§ 02

Article analysis

Model · rule-based
Framing
Human Interest
Political Strategy
Tone
Mixed Tone
AI-assessed
CalmNeutralAlarmist
Factuality
0.80 / 1.00
Factual
LowHigh
Sources cited
3
Well sourced
FewMany
§ 03

Key claims

5 extracted
01

The death toll from the fire rose to 151.

statistic
Confidence
1.00
02

Contractors tried to conceal the unsafe netting from inspectors.

factualThe Independent Commission Against Corruption
Confidence
0.90
03

Contractors used substandard scaffolding netting at the Wang Fuk Court fire site.

factualHong Kong officials
Confidence
0.90
04

Flammable polystyrene foam boards caused the fire to spread rapidly.

factualofficials
Confidence
0.80
05

Earlier samples had been taken from the ground floor of a building.

factualChris Tang, security secretary
Confidence
0.80
§ 04

Full report

5 min read · 1 095 words
Investigators say contractors wrapped the buildings in substandard scaffolding netting and then sought to hide it from inspectors. The toll from the fire rose to 151.Green netting and bamboo scaffolding are visible on buildings at Wang Fuk Court, the Hong Kong apartment complex engulfed by fire last week.Credit...Lam Yik Fei for The New York TimesHong Kong Contractors Used Unsafe Netting at Fire Site, Officials SayInvestigators say contractors wrapped the buildings in substandard scaffolding netting and then sought to hide it from inspectors. The toll from the fire rose to 151.Green netting and bamboo scaffolding are visible on buildings at Wang Fuk Court, the Hong Kong apartment complex engulfed by fire last week.Credit...Lam Yik Fei for The New York TimesSKIP Dec. 1, 2025Hong Kong officials said on Monday that contractors at the ill-fated housing estate where a fire killed more than 150 people had blanketed buildings with substandard scaffolding netting, and then tried to conceal the unsafe material.The Independent Commission Against Corruption said that after a summer typhoon, some of the scaffolding netting used at the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in northern Hong Kong was replaced with cheaper material that did not meet fire-safety standards.To fool inspectors, netting that met the standards was installed at the base of the scaffolding, where samples are usually taken.The findings emerged as the death toll from Wednesday’s blaze rose to 151, with the police still combing the towers for bodies and evidence of identification. More than 40 people were still missing. The work of locating and identifying remains would take another three weeks, officials said.In a sign of how intensely the fires had raged, the police said that some bodies were so severely burned that they had been reduced to ashes, and they acknowledged that they might not be able to recover the remains of all the missing people.ImageEmergency crew working at the site of the fire, on Sunday. Officials said they may not be able to recover the remains of every missing person.Credit...Ng Han Guan/Associated PressThe latest findings about what contributed to Hong Kong’s worst fire in decades have raised sharp questions about the city’s construction industry and the government’s ability to police it. The probe has exposed gaps in oversight that allowed unsafe material to be installed across multiple buildings — not just the substandard netting, but also flammable polystyrene foam boards that officials said caused the fire to spread rapidly.The revelations could further stoke public anger over the disaster, especially because residents had tried for more than a year to warn officials about hazards at the site, including the netting.The authorities had said last week that the protective netting at Wang Fuk Court met fire-safety standards, citing preliminary testing. The security secretary, Chris Tang, said on Monday that earlier samples had been taken from the ground floor of a building that had been unaffected by the fire. He acknowledged that the results of their tests differed widely from “the observations of our colleagues on-site and from numerous experts and citizens afterward.”The police and anticorruption agency said that 14 people so far have been arrested, including engineering consultants, contractors and scaffolding subcontractors. They also described in the greatest detail yet how contractors acquired and installed unsafe netting.Danny Woo Ying-ming, commissioner of the anti-corruption agency, said that after a typhoon damaged the Wang Fuk Court scaffolding in July, individuals whom he did not name bought 2,300 rolls of netting from a local supplier at 54 Hong Kong dollars, or about $7, per roll. That material did not meet fire-safety standards.ImageThe remains of netting and bamboo scaffolding outside a Wang Fuk Court building.Credit...Lam Yik Fei for The New York TimesBut, in October, after a separate fire involving scaffolding netting in the Central district set off official scrutiny, those individuals grew worried that the unsafe netting would be found in random inspections, Mr. Woo said.They then bought 115 rolls of netting that complied with the standards and installed it at the base of each building’s scaffolding in what investigators believe was an attempt to disguise the inferior material above. This netting was 100 Hong Kong dollars, or $13, nearly twice as expensive as the noncompliant netting.Seven of the 20 samples that officials took from Wang Fuk Court failed to meet fire-safety standards, said Mr. Tang, the security secretary. These 20 samples were taken from areas near windows, from less-accessible spots, “even requiring firefighters to climb out to obtain samples,” he said.Hong Kong’s Buildings Department last week ordered all contractors to review the safety of scaffolding protective netting and other materials at their sites and submit their reports, along with quality certificates and test results, within seven days. On Monday, the department said it had inspected 359 buildings undergoing external maintenance and has taken samples of netting for tests.ImagePolice officers presenting images of burned apartments, on Monday.Credit...Maxim Shemetov/ReutersIn recent days, as inspections ramped up, some contractors appeared to be moving quickly to remove netting used at sites. “You can see the mesh being removed in Hong Kong because they are avoiding punishment,” said Jason Poon Chuk-hung, a civil engineer-turned-activist who lobbied the government to address fire safety of scaffolding netting for more than a year.“If you remove it,” he added, “you can escape from the requirements.”Even as the authorities sought to show that they were doing their utmost to recover bodies and investigate the disaster, they were also cracking down on expression, in a sign of how anxious officials are about the potential political fallout of this disaster.Over the weekend, officials invoked a new national security law to warn citizens not to use the tragedy to fuel discontent. The Office for Safeguarding National Security in Hong Kong issued a statement to warn that it would take action against “those with ulterior motives” who tried to use the tragedy to destabilize national security.The South China Morning Post reported that the authorities had arrested a man who had called for the establishment of an independent inquiry on the blaze and holding government officials responsible. The police did not respond to requests for comment.It was notable that the government has focused on suppressing critical views rather than on trying to reassure the population that a disaster like this would not happen in other high-rises in the city, said Steve Tsang, director of the SOAS China Institute in London.“It shows the lack of credibility that the government has with the local population,” he said. Berry Wang contributed research.Alexandra Stevenson is the Shanghai bureau chief for The Times, reporting on China’s economy and society.Selam Gebrekidan is an investigative reporter for The Times based in Hong Kong.SKIP
§ 05

Entities

3 identified
Key playerOppositionContextPositiveNeutralNegative
§ 06

Keywords & salience

10 terms
fire
1.00
scaffolding netting
0.90
unsafe material
0.80
hong kong
0.70
construction industry
0.70
fire safety standards
0.60
inspectors
0.60
investigation
0.50
substandard
0.50
oversight
0.40
§ 07

Topic connections

Interactive graph
Network visualization showing 51 related topics
View Full Graph
Person Organization Location Event|Click node to navigate|Edge numbers = shared articles