Suspect accused of planting pipe bombs on eve of January 6 faces new charges
Brian Cole Jr., accused of planting pipe bombs near the Democratic and Republican national committee headquarters in Washington D.C. on January 5, 2021, now faces additional felony charges.

Briefing Summary
AI-generatedBrian Cole Jr., accused of planting pipe bombs near the Democratic and Republican national committee headquarters in Washington D.C. on January 5, 2021, now faces additional felony charges. The new indictment includes counts of attempting to use weapons of mass destruction and committing an act of terrorism while armed. Cole had previously been charged with transporting and placing the unexploded devices. He pleaded not guilty to the original charges and remains in custody. Investigators say Cole admitted to constructing and planting the bombs, citing his belief that the 2020 election was interfered with and that "something just snapped." He claimed his actions were aimed at both parties because "they were in charge" and that he did not intend to target the joint session of Congress on January 6.
Article analysis
Model · rule-basedKey claims
5 extractedTrump has repeatedly falsely claimed that he won the 2020 election.
Cole told investigators he believed the 2020 election had been interfered with and that “someone needs to speak up”.
The updated indictment introduces charges of attempting to use weapons of mass destruction and carrying out an act of terrorism while armed.
Brian Cole Jr. is facing two more felony counts related to pipe bombs placed near RNC and DNC headquarters.
Cole reportedly told investigators he did not intend to target the joint session of Congress during the attack.