Peru’s election chief steps down amid frustration over long vote count
Peru's election chief, Piero Corvetto, has resigned amid frustration over the country's chaotic general election earlier this month. The resignation comes after delays and missteps on election day contributed to widespread anger towards electoral authorities.

Briefing Summary
AI-generatedPeru's election chief, Piero Corvetto, has resigned amid frustration over the country's chaotic general election earlier this month. The resignation comes after delays and missteps on election day contributed to widespread anger towards electoral authorities. Corvetto denied irregularities in a letter to the National Board of Justice, citing his decision to step down as a bid to increase public confidence ahead of an anticipated second round of voting on June 7. The first round of the election was marred by logistical issues that led to extended voting hours in Lima and elsewhere. Peru's National Jury of Elections has stated that voting results will be finalized no later than May 15, with the top two presidential candidates advancing to the final round. Keiko Fujimori leads with about 17 percent of the vote, but the identity of her opponent remains uncertain.
Article analysis
Model · rule-basedKey claims
5 extractedPeru’s National Jury of Elections (JNE) said the voting results will be finalised no later than May 15.
Corvetto denied that irregularities had taken place.
Piero Corvetto said he was stepping down as head of the National Office of Electoral Processes (ONPE).
The head of Peru’s election authority has resigned amid anger over the country’s chaotic general election.
Right-wing candidate Keiko Fujimori leads with about 17 percent of the vote.