Delegations meet in
Washington as
Lebanon demands an end to Israeli attacks and occupation of its territory.Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike in the southern city of Tyre on May 15, 2026 [AFP]Published On 15 May 2026A second day of talks between Israeli and Lebanese officials is taking place in
Washington, DC, despite ongoing Israeli attacks and ceasefire violations in
Lebanon.Both delegations, including each country’s ambassador to the
United States, arrived at the
State Department on Friday morning for the continued discussions, the third round of direct negotiations between the two sides this year.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Israel-
Lebanon talks held in
Washington as expiration of ceasefire nearslist 2 of 3Nakba: Jewish voices are challenging the stories
Israel tells about itselflist 3 of 3Iran war day 77: Trump, Xi discuss Hormuz as Tehran rallies BRICSend of list“Productive and positive” talks on Thursday went on for eight hours, a US official told the
Reuters news agency, with few details on what was discussed.It came as
Israel launched new attacks on
Lebanon on Friday, killing at least seven people in the south, according to the Lebanese state news agency
NNA. The
Lebanese Ministry of Health said 2,951 people have been killed in Israeli attacks since March 2, when fighting between
Israel and
Hezbollah reignited.Since then,
Israel has lost 20 troops including another soldier killed in fighting with
Hezbollah on Friday.Direct talksThere is little information on what was discussed on the first day of the closed-door talks, with the US official saying they hoped to have more to share after the conclusion of Friday’s meeting. Lebanese and Israeli officials have not commented.Both sides are approaching the talks from different positions, with
Lebanon insisting that
Israel fully end its attacks and occupation of its territory.
Israel is focused on the disarmament of Iran-backed
Hezbollah – and a potential normalisation agreement between the two countries.Despite these differences, the talks are significant, being face-to-face and the third round this year.
Lebanon has sent Presidential Special Envoy Simon Karam, while
Israel’s Deputy National Security Adviser Yossi Draznin is also there.Despite encouragement from US President
Donald Trump,
Lebanon has so far refused a meeting between President
Joseph Aoun and Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu. Aoun has insisted that full normalisation is not on the table, and that
Lebanon is pushing for the ceasefire to be enforced before negotiations continue.The Lebanese president is treading carefully, seeking to balance US pressure and a desire to stop
Israel’s attacks without appearing to be conceding too much to
Israel.While some Lebanese would tolerate the meetings between Lebanese and Israeli officials if they end the war,
Hezbollah and its allies are adamant that the talks should have been indirect.Israeli attacksMany in
Lebanon view
Israel’s continued attacks as evidence that it is not serious about ending the war, which it has conducted to varying levels of intensity since October 2023.The most recent eruption came on March 2, after
Hezbollah fired rockets at
Israel following the US-Israeli assassination of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Israel had previously attacked
Lebanon more than 10,000 times since the November 2024 ceasefire, killing approximately 400 people.
Israel has launched devastating attacks in
Lebanon since March, but eventually agreed to a US-brokered ceasefire on April 16, which is set to expire on Sunday.Despite the ceasefire, attacks on
Lebanon have not stopped.Friday’s attacks included the killing of two people in a drone strike on a car in the southern Lebanese city of Nabatieh, Mohammed Ahmed Abu Zaid and Jamal Noureddine were collecting humanitarian aid. Three ambulances were damaged in the attack,
Lebanon’s state news agency reported.Another drone attack in Harouf killed three people and two others died in Tabeen.Israeli attacks in Tyre district injured 37 people on Friday, according to the Ministry of Health.
Israel issued forced evacuation orders for five villages in southern
Lebanon, claiming it was striking
Hezbollah targets in the area.
Hezbollah said it carried out several drone attacks on
Israel and Israeli troops in
Lebanon, with several “explosive drones” falling in northern
Israel.