Nearly all flotillas over 20 years have been intercepted by
Israel, and hundreds remain missing after latest interdiction.A boat, left, bearing symbols of the Gaza-bound aid flotilla that was intercepted by the
Israeli navy is motored towards the Israeli port of Ashdod on May 19, 2026 [AFP]Published On 20 May 2026The
United States has imposed sanctions on four activists involved in flotilla missions seeking to break
Israel’s 19-year siege on Gaza, home to 2.3 million people, most of them displaced by
Israel’s genocidal war on the enclave.The sanctions were announced on Tuesday after at least 430 activists were abducted during Israeli interceptions of aid ships heading towards Gaza, which has been facing shortages of food and other necessities due to Israeli curbs on aid deliveries into the enclave.Washington accused flotilla organisers, without publicly providing evidence, of trying to reach the Palestinian territory “in support of
Hamas”.
Israel’s
blockade of Gaza has caused severe shortages of food, drinking water, medicine and fuel. More than 72,000
Palestinians have been killed since the war began in
October 2023, according to Gaza health authorities, while more than 800 have been killed since
Israel agreed to a “ceasefire” in October last year.International activists said the flotillas are intended to deliver aid and draw attention to the blockade, which rights groups and United Nations experts have described as collective punishment of
Palestinians. Gaza has been under an Israeli air, land and sea blockade since 2007.Now with activists from more than 46 countries detained, organisers said they fear the sanctions and accusations of
Hamas links are being used to justify further crackdowns. The concerns come amid previous allegations by activists of abuse, including sexual abuse, during past interceptions by Israeli officials. Organisers have also accused
Israeli naval forces of firing “rubber bullets” at activists during the latest interception, which occurred in international waters.Activists fear the sanctions are being used as a tool to “legitimise violence by using these accusations”.“It’s again the same propaganda that is being used against any humanitarian mission,”
Sumeyra Akdeniz Ordu, a steering committee member of the
Global Sumud Flotilla, told
Al Jazeera. “They are trying to change the narrative. It’s [the sanctions are] not targeting four of our comrades but all of us.”Who are the individuals slapped with sanctions?The US Department of the Treasury announced sanctions on Tuesday against four activists linked to Gaza flotilla campaigns.The measures target two representatives from the Popular Conference for
Palestinians Abroad (PCPA), an organisation established in 2017 by
Palestinians living outside Gaza and the occupied West Bank with offices in Beirut and Istanbul.The PCPA held a conference in Turkiye earlier this year under the slogan, “The Palestinian people reject displacement projects and there is no alternative to the right of return,” and helped organise flotilla campaigns aimed at breaking
Israel’s naval
blockade of Gaza.The sanctions also targeted two members of Samidoun, an international advocacy network that campaigns on behalf of Palestinian prisoners.Among them are Mohammed Khatib of Samidoun, who has previously been detained in Belgium and Greece over his activism, and Jaldia Abubakra, who participated in the
Global Sumud Flotilla last year.The sanctions also targeted Saif Abu Keshek, a Spanish national detained and deported by
Israel this month after taking part in a flotilla, and Hisham Abu Mahfouz, the acting secretary-general of the PCPA.Abu Keshek was among roughly 180 activists intercepted by Israeli forces about 660 nautical miles (1,220km) from Gaza two weeks ago. After being taken to
Israel, he reportedly carried out a weeklong hunger strike while in detention before he was deported to Madrid.Jyoti Fernandes, a farmer and policy coordinator for the Landworkers Alliance, said the US government is seeking to undermine “the brave people seeking to deliver humanitarian assistance to Gaza”.“Instead of protecting the flotilla and its citizens, the US is trying to ‘flip the script’ by lying and pretending that this peaceful civil society-led mission is supporting terrorists, labelling families, children and communities in Gaza facing the most appalling conditions imaginable,” Fernandes, who provides legal support for the Global Samud Flotilla, told
Al Jazeera.“All governments should be assisting these people, not sanctioning them. Our work is to see through their lies and demand accountability.”What are the accusations?US President Donald Trump’s administration has accused the activists of supporting
Hamas. “The pro-terror flotilla attempting to reach Gaza is a ludicrous attempt to undermine President Trump’s successful progress toward lasting peace in the region,” US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a statement on Tuesday.“Treasury will continue to sever
Hamas’ global financial support networks, no matter where in the world they are.”The Treasury Department alleged the flotilla was organised by the PCPA and the group had been established with funding from
Hamas.The US did not publicly provide evidence to support the allegations despite the sanctions having sweeping practical consequences for those concerned.Any assets the targeted activists hold in the US may be frozen, and Americans are broadly prohibited from doing business with them. Banks and financial institutions around the world may also avoid providing services to sanctioned individuals to reduce the risk of violating US restrictions.In practice, sanctions can make it difficult for those targeted to access bank accounts, loans, payment services or international financial systems even outside the US.The Treasury also warned that foreign banks or organisations dealing with sanctioned individuals could themselves face penalties.Washington has also imposed sanctions on International Criminal Court judges involved in war crimes cases against Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, while revoking sanctions previously placed on violent Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank.Francesca Albanese, the UN special rapporteur on occupied Palestinian territory, was also sanctioned by the administration over her work documenting alleged Israeli abuses in Gaza although a US federal judge later blocked the penalties.Albanese recently warned that flotilla activists faced serious danger after reports that Israeli forces had fired on vessels in international waters.“Maximum alert on the Flotilla!
Israel has been given license to threaten, kidnap and shoot at civilians ALSO in int’l waters!” Albanese wrote on X. “Welcome to apartheid without borders.”What has been the response?Flotilla organisers and rights advocates have condemned the sanctions as an attempt to criminalise humanitarian solidarity with Gaza.“We are not afraid of sanctions,” Ordu told
Al Jazeera. “We are trying to be more strategic. We will not give up, even if [we use] a land convoy or a new strategy.”“Previously, with other flotillas, we were also getting accusations that they were
Hamas members and hiding equipment on the boat. That’s why we show we are an unarmed mission. They are always trying to play the same game.”Former United Kingdom Labour Party leader and current independent MP Jeremy Corbyn accused Western governments of enabling
Israel’s assault on Gaza.“People on board the flotilla sail to Gaza with one intention: to save the lives of
Palestinians being starved to death by
Israel,” he told
Al Jazeera. “That is why they are being abducted. That is why they are being criminalised. … The siege is a crime. Breaking it is not.”