Mike Ashley’s
Frasers Group launched a £1.73bn takeover offer for
Hugo Boss last week. Photograph: Yui Mok/PA View image in fullscreen
Mike Ashley’s
Frasers Group launched a £1.73bn takeover offer for
Hugo Boss last week. Photograph: Yui Mok/PA
Mike Ashley’s Frasers follows
Hugo Boss bid with offer for
Australia’s Accent UK billionaire’s fashion group offers £166m for takeover of 77.1% of shares in shoe firm it does not already own The retail billionaire
Mike Ashley has launched his second takeover bid in a week, attempting to snap up Australian footwear business
Accent Group, days after announcing a tilt at
Hugo Boss. Ashley’s
Frasers Group, which already owns the biggest single stake in Accent at 22.9%, said it will offer 65 Australian cents (34p) a share for the remainder of the business, at the same level as its closing price on Friday. The A$316m (£166m) bid marks the latest move in Ashley’s deal spree, after the British billionaire launched a near-€2bn (£1.73bn) takeover offer for the German luxury fashion brand
Hugo Boss last week. If the bids are successful, it would add two new brands to a group that already owns the Frasers department stores, formerly
House of Fraser,
Sports Direct and the bicycle retailer
Evans Cycles. Ashley, who is known for his controversial business tactics, retains a 73% stake in Frasers, which he built from a single sports store in
Maidenhead, Berkshire and opened in 1982 with £10,000 from his parents. He stepped down from the board in 2022. His wealth grew by £317m to £3.44bn last year, according to the Sunday Times rich list. Accent, which is listed on the Australian stock market, sells a string of brands in
Australia including Skechers, Lacoste and Hype. It secured a deal last year with Frasers to launch and operate the
Sports Direct retail business in
Australia and New Zealand. Frasers said in a letter to Accent shareholders that it was a “great believer in the strength sold through Accent’s retail network” and was “highly confident in the long-term potential of the brands in the Australian market”. However, it said it had “significant concerns” about its management, including decisions to “prioritise shareholder distributions during a period of declining earnings, increased borrowing and ongoing growth investment obligations”. The group also cited high executive pay at Accent, noting that at its last annual meeting, 82% of votes were against the company’s 2025 remuneration report. The chief executive, Daniel Agostinelli, received a total package of A$1.625m last year. Shares in Accent have lost about a fifth of their value in the year to date. Last month it told investors that sales and gross profit margin had fallen this year. It also told investors that it would ramp up openings of more
Sports Direct stores across
Australia and New Zealand. Accent, which is now headquartered in Melbourne, started out as a wholesale distributor in New Zealand in 1988. It has more than 800 stores, which offer 34 brands to its customers. It employs more than 8,600 people across
Australia and New Zealand. Shares in Accent jumped by as much as 15 % to 75 Australian cents on Monday, taking the company’s market value to A$450m. Accent said its board was considering the offer and that it would provide shareholders with a formal recommendation later. Explore more on these topics
Frasers Group Retail industry news Share Reuse this content