NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

Pam Bondi announces arrest of ‘key participant’ in 2012 Benghazi attack

4 articles
4 sources
0% diversity
Updated 6.2.2026
Key Topics & People
Zubayar al-Bakoush *Benghazi Ahmed Abu Khatallah Pam Bondi Sean Smith

Coverage Framing

3
1
Legal & Judicial(3)
National Security(1)
Avg Factuality:88%
Avg Sensationalism:Low

Story Timeline

Feb 6 Evening

4 articles|4 sources
benghazi attackterrorismlibyazubayar al-bakoushmurder
Legal & Judicial(3)
The Guardian - World NewsFeb 6

Pam Bondi announces arrest of ‘key participant’ in 2012 Benghazi attack

US Attorney General Pam Bondi announced the arrest of Zubayar al-Bakoush, a "key participant" in the 2012 Benghazi attack, on Friday. Al-Bakoush is accused of involvement in the attack on the US government compounds in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012, which resulted in the deaths of four US officials, including Ambassador J Christopher Stevens. He faces an eight-count indictment, including murder and terrorism charges, and was brought to the US via a "foreign transfer of custody." The attack has been a source of political controversy, with investigations focusing on the government's response. Al-Bakoush is now in US custody and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

MeasuredFactual4 sources
Neutral
South China Morning PostFeb 6

US arrests suspect in 2012 Benghazi consulate attack, Bondi says

In the US, Zubayar al-Bakoush has been arrested and extradited for his alleged central role in the 2012 Benghazi consulate attack. Attorney General Pam Bondi announced the arrest on Friday, stating al-Bakoush will face murder, arson, and terrorism-related charges. The September 11, 2012, attack in Benghazi, Libya, resulted in the deaths of four US personnel and was later determined to be a deliberate act by extremists. Al-Bakoush is the third person to face criminal charges in connection to the attack. Ahmed Abu Khatallah and Mustafa al-Imam are currently serving lengthy prison terms, while another suspect was killed in 2015.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Neutral
Al JazeeraFeb 6

US attorney general says ‘key participant’ in 2012 Benghazi attack arrested

In 2026, US Attorney General Pam Bondi announced the arrest and extradition of Zubayar al-Bakoush, a "key participant" in the 2012 Benghazi attack. Al-Bakoush faces murder, arson, and terrorism-related charges for his alleged involvement in the attack on the US embassy and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, which resulted in the deaths of four US citizens, including Ambassador J Christopher Stevens. The US has been pursuing justice for the attack, which occurred amid widespread instability following the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi. Previously, Ahmed Abu Khatallah was convicted on terrorism-related charges and Mustafa al-Imam was also convicted in connection with the attack. Al-Bakoush will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Neutral
National Security(1)
Associated Press (AP)Feb 6

Key participant in 2012 Benghazi, Libya, attack that killed 4 Americans is in custody, Bondi says

According to Bondi, a key participant in the 2012 Benghazi, Libya, attack is now in custody. The attack, which occurred on September 11, 2012, at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, resulted in the deaths of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. The individual's capture marks a significant development in the pursuit of justice for the victims of the attack. The article includes file photos depicting the aftermath of the attack, including the burnt-out consulate buildings and bloodstains. The reason for Bondi's announcement and the identity of the captured individual were not specified in the provided text.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Neutral

Key Claims

factual

Pam Bondi announced the arrest of Zubayar al-Bakoush, a 'key participant' in the 2012 Benghazi attack.

— Pam Bondi

factual

Al-Bakoush is charged with crimes including the murders of Stevens and Smith.

— Jeanine Pirro

factual

A Republican-led House committee report found that Clinton was ultimately not to blame.

— null

factual

Ahmed Abu Khattala was convicted on terrorism-related charges, although found not guilty of murder.

— null

factual

The US has arrested a person suspected of playing a central role in the 2012 attack on its consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

— Attorney General Pam Bondi