NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

Hundreds feared missing or dead in Mediterranean shipwrecks, UN says

2 articles
2 sources
0% diversity
Updated 27.1.2026
Key Topics & People
Mediterranean Sea *International Organisation for Migration Cyclone Harry Italian Coastguard Jorge Galindo

Coverage Framing

2
Human Interest(2)
Avg Factuality:80%
Avg Sensationalism:Moderate

Story Timeline

Jan 27 Morning

1 articles|1 sources
shipwrecksmigrantsmediterranean seamissing at seadeaths
Human Interest(1)
South China Morning PostJan 27

Hundreds feared missing or dead in Mediterranean shipwrecks, UN says

The UN's migration agency, IOM, reported on Monday that hundreds of migrants are feared missing or dead in the central Mediterranean Sea following multiple shipwrecks in recent days. The IOM is currently verifying reports of several boats involved over the past 10 days, with preliminary information suggesting a high number of casualties. Three shipwrecks were specifically reported on January 23rd and 25th, potentially resulting in at least 104 deaths. Severe weather conditions are significantly hindering search and rescue operations in the area. The IOM expressed deep concern over the situation.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative

Key Claims

quote

The International Organisation for Migration said it was “deeply concerned” by the reports.

— International Organisation for Migration

factual

Severe weather is significantly hampering search and rescue operations.

— UN’s migration agency

quote

There had been “three shipwrecks reported on January 23 and 25”, with potentially at least 104 deaths.

— IOM spokesman Jorge Galindo

factual

Hundreds of migrants may be missing at sea or feared dead following shipwrecks in the central Mediterranean.

— UN’s migration agency

factual

Several boats are believed to have been involved over the past 10 days.

— UN’s migration agency

Jan 26 Evening

1 articles|1 sources
mediterranean seashipwreckmigrant deathscrossingcyclone harry
Human Interest(1)
The Guardian - World NewsJan 26

Hundreds feared dead in attempt to cross Mediterranean during cyclone

Hundreds of people may have drowned attempting to cross the Mediterranean last week as Cyclone Harry battered southern Italy and Malta. A shipwreck with 50 confirmed deaths was reported by Maltese authorities, while one survivor told of a vessel carrying up to 380 people from Tunisia that had departed on January 20th. The cyclone generated huge waves in the Mediterranean, prompting an investigation into eight vessels launched by people smugglers during the past 10 days. This incident is part of a larger trend, with 66,296 people arriving by boat in Italy in 2025, representing a slight dip from the previous year. The UN's International Organization for Migration has registered at least 25,600 deaths and disappearances among people attempting the crossing since 2014.

Mixed toneFactual4 sources
Negative

Key Claims

factual

A shipwreck with the loss of 50 lives was confirmed.

— Maltese authorities

factual

One person survived the shipwreck after being at sea for 24 hours.

— null

statistic

66,296 people arrived by boat on Italian coastlines during 2025.

— Italy’s interior ministry

statistic

The UN’s IOM has registered at least 25,600 deaths and disappearances since 2014.

— UN’s International Organization for Migration

factual

Up to 380 people may have drowned attempting to cross the Mediterranean last week.

— Italian coastguard