NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

Iran war live: Trump again says talks under way; 12 killed in south Tehran

16 articles
6 sources
0% diversity
Updated 25.3.2026
Key Topics & People
Diego Garcia *United Kingdom Indian Ocean Abbas Araghchi Ballistic Missile Attack on Diego Garcia

Coverage Framing

10
4
1
1
National Security(10)
Conflict(4)
Diplomatic(1)
Economic Impact(1)
Avg Factuality:69%
Avg Sensationalism:Moderate

Story Timeline

Mar 25, 2026

1 articles|1 sources
iranwarceasefire demandsnegotiationsus
Conflict(1)
Al JazeeraMar 25

Iran war live: Trump again says talks under way; 12 killed in south Tehran

On March 25, 2026, Al Jazeera reported that Pakistan has conveyed the United States' ceasefire demands to Iran amidst ongoing conflict. Despite this, Iran's military has dismissed claims by U.S. President Donald Trump that negotiations are underway. Iran has vowed to continue fighting. The report also mentioned that sources confirmed Pakistan's role as an intermediary, and that they are currently awaiting a response from Iran regarding the ceasefire proposal.

Mixed toneFactual1 source
Negative

Key Claims

quote

Iran’s military dismisses US President Donald Trump’s latest claim of negotiations.

— Iran’s military

quote

Trump claims negotiations with Iran are underway.

— Donald Trump

factual

Iran promises to continue fighting.

— Iran's military

factual

Pakistan has shared the US’s ceasefire demands with Iran.

— Al Jazeera sources

factual

The US has ceasefire demands.

— Al Jazeera sources

Mar 23, 2026

5 articles|4 sources
irandiego garciaballistic missilesmissile rangemilitary base
National Security(3)
The Guardian - World NewsMar 23

Is Iran really able to strike London, and is the UK prepared for an attack?

Recent claims by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) allege that Iran possesses missiles capable of reaching European cities like London, with a range of approximately 4,000km. This follows reports that Iran targeted the joint UK-US military base on Diego Garcia, about 3,800km from Iran. While details of the Diego Garcia incident remain limited, reports suggest one missile was intercepted and another failed mid-flight. The UK government, while condemning the attack, has taken a different stance than the US and Israel on the broader conflict. Initially hesitant, the UK now permits the use of its bases for strikes against Iranian sites targeting British allies and interests, including missile launchers threatening commercial shipping.

Mixed toneFactual5 sources
Negative
BBC News - WorldMar 23

Could Iranian missiles reach London and Paris?

Recent Iranian missile launches, including a failed attempt to target the US-UK base in Diego Garcia (nearly 4,000km from Iran), have raised concerns about the range and capability of Iran's missile program. While Iran previously claimed a self-imposed limit of 2,000km, Israel alleges their missiles can reach 4,000km, potentially putting much of Europe, including London and Paris, within range. The US and UK closely monitor Iranian missile launches using space-based satellites and ground-based radar systems. Despite possessing a large stockpile of short-range missiles used against Israel and Gulf nations, the extent of Iran's intermediate-range ballistic missile program (3,000km to 5,500km) remains less clear. The launches suggest Iran may not be fully transparent about its missile capabilities.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative
Al JazeeraMar 23

‘False flag attack’: Iran denies claims it fired missiles at Diego Garcia

Iran has denied launching missiles at the joint US-UK military base on Diego Garcia, dismissing claims as an Israeli "false flag" operation. The denial follows reports in US media outlets alleging a missile launch between Thursday night and Friday morning that failed to hit the base. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei stated that the accusations are disinformation, noting that even NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte did not confirm Israel's claim that Iranian intercontinental ballistic missiles were used. Confirmation of Iran's involvement would suggest the country possesses missiles with a range exceeding 4,000km, capable of reaching London, despite Iran's previous claims of limiting missile range to under 2,000km.

Mixed toneFactual5 sources
Neutral
Diplomatic(1)
Al JazeeraMar 23

Trump signals off-ramp in Iran war despite no ‘regime change’

In March 2026, President Trump ordered the US military to postpone strikes against Iranian power plants and energy infrastructure for five days. This decision followed what Trump described as "good and productive conversations" with Tehran. According to Al Jazeera's Alan Fisher, this postponement could offer Trump an "off-ramp" from potential war with Iran, despite the US not pursuing regime change. The strikes were planned against Iranian power plants and energy infrastructure. The reason for the postponement was to allow for further diplomatic engagement between the US and Iran.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Positive
Conflict(1)
South China Morning PostMar 23

Not like Venezuela: why Iran is likely to survive US-Israeli strikes

Since February 28th, the US and Israel have conducted bombing raids in Iran, killing dozens of senior officials, including a former supreme leader. Despite these losses, Iran argues its political system remains solid and resilient. This conflict, now in its fourth week, contrasts with a previous US raid in Venezuela where President Maduro was abducted. The situation has caused a surge in oil prices, prompting President Trump to temporarily halt strikes on Iranian power plants for five days. The US has also threatened to deploy more warships and marines to the region, raising concerns about further escalation. Analysts suggest Iran is likely to withstand these attacks, unlike Venezuela.

Mixed toneMixed2 sources
Neutral

Key Claims

quote

The UK foreign secretary condemned the attack, while stressing that the UK has “taken a different position from the US and Israel” on the conflict.

— Yvette Cooper

factual

Iran has previously stated it had unilaterally limited the range of its missiles to 2,000km.

— null

factual

Donald Trump has ordered the US military to postpone strikes against Iranian power plants and energy infrastructure for five days.

— NewsFeed

quote

Iran denies targeting a joint US and UK military base on Diego Garcia with missiles.

— Esmaeil Baghaei

quote

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte said the alliance could not confirm Israel’s claim that the projectiles used were Iranian intercontinental ballistic missiles.

— Mark Rutte

Mar 22, 2026

3 articles|2 sources
irandiego garciaballistic missilesmissile attackstrait of hormuz
National Security(2)
Al JazeeraMar 22

Did Iran launch missiles at US-UK base on Diego Garcia? Here’s what to know

On March 22, 2026, the UK condemned an alleged Iranian missile attack targeting the joint US-UK military base on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. US media reported that two ballistic missiles were launched, with one failing and the other intercepted by a US warship. An Iranian official denied Iran's involvement in the incident, which occurred after the US and Israel initiated a war on Iran in February, aiming to dismantle Iran's nuclear and missile programs. The US has not officially commented on the missile launch. The alleged attack happened hours before the UK agreed to allow the US to use its military bases for self-defense measures against Iran. Diego Garcia is located 4,000km from Iran.

Mixed toneFactual3 sources
Neutral
South China Morning PostMar 22

What the 4,000km Diego Garcia missile launch reveals about Iran’s intentions

Iran launched ballistic missiles towards the UK-US Diego Garcia base in the Indian Ocean, nearly 4,000km from its coast, signaling its continued capabilities amidst ongoing conflict. The launch, occurring after three weeks of US-Israeli bombardment, demonstrates a missile range exceeding previous estimates of 3,000km for Iranian medium-range ballistic missiles. While a UK official stated the attack was unsuccessful, experts note the significance of Iran's ability to strike such a distant target. The Diego Garcia base is a military facility used by the US for missions related to the conflict with Iran. This action suggests Iran aims to demonstrate its strategic reach despite facing military pressure.

MeasuredFactual2 sources
Neutral
Conflict(1)
South China Morning PostMar 22

Trump issues Hormuz ultimatum, threatens to ‘obliterate’ Iran’s power plants

US President Donald Trump issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Iran on Saturday, demanding the full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Trump threatened to "obliterate" Iranian power plants if the demand was not met. The ultimatum followed reports from Israeli officials that Iran had launched long-range missiles for the first time, with one strike injuring dozens near Israel's nuclear site. According to the Israeli military, Iran fired two ballistic missiles at the US-UK military base Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. The Israeli military stated that these missiles, while not targeting Israel, have the range to reach European capitals.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative

Key Claims

factual

An Iranian official has denied the allegations that it was behind the launch of ballistic missiles.

— Article

factual

The US has not officially commented on the firing of the missiles at Diego Garcia.

— Article

quote

Trump threatened to “obliterate” Iran’s power plants if the Strait of Hormuz isn't fully reopened in 48 hours.

— US President Donald Trump

factual

The United Kingdom has slammed “reckless Iranian threats” after missiles targeted a joint United States-UK military base located on Diego Garcia.

— Article

quote

These missiles to Diego Garcia mean Iran has 4,000km-plus ballistic missiles.

— Muhanad Seloom, lecturer at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies

Mar 21, 2026

6 articles|5 sources
iranballistic missilesdiego garciamissile attackmilitary base
National Security(5)
South China Morning PostMar 21

Iran fires missiles at UK-US base on Diego Garcia in Indian Ocean: US media

According to US media reports, Iran launched ballistic missiles at a military base on Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands, a territory jointly used by the UK and the US. The reported attack occurred on Friday morning and involved two medium-range missiles. While the missiles were launched, reports indicate they failed to hit the facility. As of yet, neither the UK nor the US governments have publicly confirmed the incident. The Chagos Islands are currently subject to a diplomatic dispute involving the UK, the US, and Mauritius. The reports also mention US President Trump's criticism of UK Prime Minister Starmer's refusal to authorize the base's use for US-Israeli strikes against Iran.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative
Fox News - WorldMar 21

Trump proven right on Iran's long-range missile capability as regime targets US-UK base, experts say

Iran reportedly launched two intermediate-range ballistic missiles toward Diego Garcia, a U.S.-U.K. military base in the Indian Ocean, on Friday. The alleged launch, approximately 2,500 miles from Iran, suggests that Iran's missile capabilities exceed previously stated limits. Prior to Operation Epic Fury on February 28th, Iranian officials claimed their missiles had a range below 2,000 km. An Israeli Defense Forces spokesperson stated the missiles had a 4,000 km range and were capable of reaching European capitals. Experts suggest this action proves the Trump administration's concerns about Iran's missile capabilities were justified and that Iran's missile program poses a significant threat.

Mixed toneFactual4 sources
Negative
Al JazeeraMar 21

UK says Iran missile attack on Diego Garcia failed

In March 2026, the UK reported that Iran launched ballistic missiles at the joint US-UK military base on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. According to the UK, the missile attack was unsuccessful. The UK government condemned Iran's actions, describing them as reckless. Diego Garcia, a strategically important location, has been identified as a potential target. The reason for the attack was not explicitly stated in the report.

Mixed toneFactual1 source
Negative
Conflict(1)
Al JazeeraMar 21

Iran war: What’s happening on day 22 of US-Israel attacks?

In March 2026, the war between the US, Israel, and Iran entered its fourth week, resulting in over 1,400 deaths in Iran, including many children. The conflict began with attacks on Iran, followed by Iranian retaliation against Israel and US bases, including a missile strike on the Diego Garcia base. Iran has threatened further action against Western countries, Gulf states, and global shipping, citing self-defense after the UK allowed the US to use its bases for strikes. The Iranian military has launched numerous attacks on Israel and US bases in the Gulf, escalating conflict at energy sites. Millions of Iranians observed Eid al-Fitr and Nowruz amidst the ongoing conflict and anti-Western protests. The US is reportedly considering winding down the conflict but has ruled out a ceasefire.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative

Key Claims

factual

Diego Garcia is roughly 2,500 miles from Iran.

— Article

quote

Iran's Foreign Minister claimed they intentionally kept missile range below 2,000 km.

— Abbas Araghchi

factual

Iran has launched missiles at Diego Garcia, an Indian Ocean island that is home to a strategic U.K.-U.S. military base.

— AP

quote

The United States has described the Diego Garcia base as “an all but indispensable platform” for security operations.

— United States

factual

Britain evicted as many as 2,000 people from Diego Garcia in the 1960s and 1970s.

— AP

Mar 20, 2026

1 articles|1 sources
iran warstrait of hormuzenergy marketsshipping lanesoil tankers
Economic Impact(1)
South China Morning PostMar 20

Iran war revives pandemic-era shocks – and may go further

The article discusses the potential global economic impact of the escalating conflict involving Iran, drawing parallels to the disruptions caused by the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic. The conflict threatens key global trade routes, particularly the Strait of Hormuz, through which approximately one-fifth of the world's oil supply passes. Iran has threatened to close the Strait to pressure other nations to diplomatically restrain the US and Israel. Rising shipping costs and insurance premiums are contributing to inflationary pressures. The conflict may also expand to include the Bab el-Mandeb strait, further disrupting global trade and energy markets. The situation is rapidly evolving, outpacing the ability of governments and markets to respond effectively.

Mixed toneMixed
Negative

Key Claims

statistic

Roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil passes through this narrow channel (Strait of Hormuz).

— null

factual

Iran’s new supreme leader has vowed to keep the strait closed to force other countries to intervene diplomatically and restrain Washington and Israel.

— null

factual

Iran has signalled that the Bab el‑Mandeb, another critical oil and trade artery, could also be drawn into the conflict.

— null

factual

Iran has reportedly allowed a limited number of ships from countries not directly involved in the conflict to transit the waterway following negotiations.

— null

prediction

A conflict that some in Washington seemed to believe would quickly topple Iran’s leadership has instead become a potentially long and uncertain war.

— null