NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

Australia gun buyback spurred by Bondi attack to start in November, PM says

2 articles
2 sources
0% diversity
Updated Yesterday
Key Topics & People
Bondi Beach *New South Wales Anthony Albanese gun buyback scheme Australia

Coverage Framing

2
National Security(2)
Avg Factuality:80%
Avg Sensationalism:Low

Story Timeline

Aug 16 Morning

1 articles|1 sources
gun buybackbondi attackgun controlfirearm ownershipnew south wales
National Security(1)
Al JazeeraYesterday

Australia gun buyback spurred by Bondi attack to start in November, PM says

Australia's New South Wales will launch a gun buyback scheme on November 2nd, offering up to A$1,000 for surrendered handguns and rifles. This initiative is part of a nationwide response to a deadly attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration last year, where 15 people were killed by legally obtained firearms. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced the scheme, which will also include stricter gun license checks and a crackdown on hate speech. The measures aim to reduce the record 4.1 million firearms currently owned in Australia, with over 1.1 million in New South Wales. This follows a similar buyback after the 1996 Port Arthur massacre, which led to significant firearm restrictions.

MeasuredFactual2 sources
Negative

Key Claims

factual

New South Wales will begin a gun buyback scheme in November as part of a nationwide response to last year’s deadly Sydney beach attack.

— Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

factual

The gun buyback scheme will be accompanied by tighter checks for gun licences and a crackdown on hate.

— Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

factual

The measures targeting firearm ownership are a reaction to the December 14, 2025, gun attack at a Bondi Beach Hanukkah celebration in Sydney, New South Wales, that killed 15 people.

statistic

Australians owned a record 4.1 million firearms last year, with more than 1.1 million of those in New South Wales.

— the government

factual

New South Wales’ gun buyback scheme is scheduled to start on November 2, and will see the state offer owners up to 1,000 Australian dollars ($700) per handgun or rifle handed in.

Aug 15 Evening

1 articles|1 sources
gun buybackgun reformbondi beach attacknew south walesantisemitic terrorist attack
National Security(1)
BBC News - WorldYesterday

Australian state to launch gun buyback after Bondi Beach attack

New South Wales, Australia, is launching a gun buyback program following an antisemitic terrorist attack in Bondi Beach. The program, jointly funded by the state and federal government, offers cash incentives for gun owners to surrender their firearms, with payments ranging from AUS$450 for air rifles to AUS$1,000 for revolvers. A second phase next year will target higher-value firearms. Businesses affected by the reforms will also receive financial support. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stated the initiative is part of nationwide gun reform efforts to prevent future attacks, referencing the December 14th incident where 15 people were killed.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Negative

Key Claims

factual

Australian state to launch gun buyback after Bondi Beach attack.

statistic

Revolvers will be paid AUS$1,000, air rifles AUS$450 in the gun buyback scheme.

factual

The National Gun BuyBack Scheme is jointly funded by New South Wales and the federal government.

quote

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese stated the need to prevent future antisemitic terrorist attacks.

— Prime Minister Anthony Albanese

factual

15 people were killed on December 14 last year during Hanukkah celebrations.