NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

US military says it struck vessel in eastern Pacific, killing two people

6 articles
4 sources
0% diversity
Updated 24.1.2026
Key Topics & People
US Southern Command *Nicolás Maduro Pacific Ocean Venezuela Caribbean Sea

Coverage Framing

3
2
1
National Security(3)
Diplomatic(2)
Human Rights(1)
Avg Factuality:80%
Avg Sensationalism:Moderate

Story Timeline

Jan 18 – Jan 24

4 articles|4 sources
drug traffickingus military strikevenezuelanarco-traffickingeastern pacific
National Security(3)
The Guardian - World NewsJan 24

US military says it struck vessel in eastern Pacific, killing two people

The US military announced it conducted a strike on a vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing two people identified as "narco-terrorists." According to US Southern Command, the vessel was traveling along known drug trafficking routes. This strike is the first since Trump ordered the military to capture Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro. Since early September, the US military has conducted over 30 strikes against boats allegedly smuggling drugs off South America, resulting in over 100 deaths. The US has recently focused on seizing sanctioned oil tankers linked to Venezuela and controlling the distribution of Venezuelan oil after attempting to oust Maduro.

MeasuredFactual2 sources
Neutral
South China Morning PostJan 24

US kills 2 in first known strike on alleged drug boat since Maduro’s capture

The US military conducted a deadly strike on a vessel in the eastern Pacific Ocean on Friday, killing two people and leaving one survivor. US Southern Command stated the boat was involved in drug trafficking operations. This is the first known strike on a suspected drug boat since the US raid earlier this month that targeted Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. The US military released a video showing the boat exploding after being struck. The Coast Guard was notified to conduct search and rescue operations for the survivor. The US military has recently focused on seizing sanctioned oil tankers linked to Venezuela following the US raid to capture Maduro on drug trafficking charges.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Neutral
Associated Press (AP)Jan 24

US carries out first known strike on alleged drug boat since Maduro’s capture

On January 23, 2026, the U.S. military conducted a strike on a vessel in the eastern Pacific Ocean accused of drug trafficking. This is the first known strike since the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro earlier in the month. According to U.S. Southern Command, the boat was engaged in "narco-trafficking operations," resulting in two deaths and one survivor. The U.S. Coast Guard was notified to conduct search and rescue operations for the survivor. Since early September, there have been 36 known U.S. military strikes against alleged drug smuggling boats in South American waters, resulting in at least 117 deaths.

MeasuredFactual2 sources
Neutral
Human Rights(1)
Al JazeeraJan 24

One survivor reported, two killed in US boat strike in the Eastern Pacific

On January 23, 2026, the US military, under President Trump's administration, conducted a lethal boat strike in the Eastern Pacific, killing two people. This marks the first such attack in 2026 and brings the total death toll from US boat strikes in the Caribbean Sea and Eastern Pacific to 125 since September 2, when Trump's campaign began. US Southern Command stated the vessel was engaged in narco-trafficking and operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations. One survivor is yet to be recovered, and the US Coast Guard has been notified. These actions, along with the recent military operation in Venezuela, have drawn criticism from world leaders and human rights advocates, who are raising concerns about extrajudicial killings and the treatment of survivors.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative

Key Claims

factual

US military carried out a strike on a vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing two people.

— US military

factual

Friday’s strike marked the first known attack since Trump ordered the US military to capture Nicolás Maduro.

factual

The US military has carried out more than 30 strikes against boats that it alleges were smuggling drugs since early September.

factual

US military carried out a strike on a vessel accused of trafficking drugs in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

— US military

factual

The strike killed two people and left one survivor.

— US Southern Command

Dec 28 – Jan 3

2 articles|1 sources

Key Claims

quote

Venezuela is open to negotiating an agreement with the US to combat drug trafficking.

— Nicolás Maduro

factual

The Trump administration has accused Maduro of heading a drug cartel.

— Trump administration

factual

The US military announced strikes against five alleged drug-smuggling boats on New Year's Eve.

— null

factual

Chevron is the only major oil company exporting Venezuelan crude to the US.

— null

quote

Venezuela is open to negotiating an agreement with the US to combat drug trafficking.

— Nicolás Maduro