NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

North Korea fires ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

57 articles
6 sources
0% diversity
Updated 5h ago
Key Topics & People
North Korea *South Korea Ulchi Freedom Shield Kim Jong Un Kim Jong-un

Coverage Framing

31
14
10
2
National Security(31)
Political Strategy(14)
Diplomatic(10)
Conflict(2)
Avg Factuality:64%
Avg Sensationalism:Moderate

Story Timeline

Aug 16 – Aug 22

44 articles|6 sources
south koreanorth koreadonald trumpmilitary drillsballistic missiles
National Security(18)
Al Jazeera5h ago

North Korea fires ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

South Korea convened an emergency security meeting after North Korea launched over 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea east of the Korean Peninsula. South Korea condemned the launches as violations of UN Security Council resolutions and urged Pyongyang to cease further actions. The missile launches occurred as South Korea and the US concluded a scaled-back version of their annual military drills, which US President Donald Trump had ordered reduced. North Korea has historically viewed these joint exercises as invasion rehearsals and often conducts missile tests around them. South Korea's Defense Minister stated the missiles are believed to be 600 mm multiple rocket launchers, potentially deployable near the border, and that North Korea possesses 80 to 120 nuclear warheads.

Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Negative
The Guardian - World News12h ago

North Korea fires 10 missiles day after Trump curtails South Korea joint drills

North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles into its eastern waters on Thursday. This action followed the United States' decision, ordered by President Donald Trump, to scale back joint military drills with South Korea. South Korea's military detected the launches and is coordinating with the US and Japan, while also urging North Korea to cease missile tests. North Korea's influential sister, Kim Yo-jong, had previously dismissed the reduction in drills as insufficient to change their provocative nature, despite noting good personal relations between her brother and President Trump. Trump had cited his relationship with Kim Jong-un and South Korea's stance on Iran as reasons for reducing the exercises.

MeasuredFactual4 sources
Negative
Associated Press (AP)13h ago

North Korea fires a suspected missile toward the sea, Japan says

North Korea launched approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea from its capital region on Thursday, according to South Korea's military. This occurred a day after North Korea dismissed a U.S. decision to scale back joint military drills with South Korea. Japan's prime minister's office also detected a suspected missile launch. South Korea has increased its surveillance and is coordinating with the U.S. and Japan, while its presidential national security council urged North Korea to halt prohibited launches. The missile firings followed U.S. President Donald Trump's order to reduce the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, a move North Korea's Kim Yo Jong deemed insufficient for resuming diplomacy.

MeasuredFactual3 sources
Negative
Political Strategy(14)
Al Jazeera3d ago

Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea

US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump stated he is "not happy" with the drills, citing his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and that the exercises send an "inappropriate and hostile" signal. He also mentioned South Korea's refusal to join the US in denuclearizing Iran. While Trump made the order, South Korea's Ministry of Defence indicated the exercises would proceed as scheduled. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, designed to prepare for defense against North Korea, were set to involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers.

Mixed toneMixed2 sources
Neutral
BBC News - World4d ago

Trump says US to scale back military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war

President Donald Trump announced the United States will significantly reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump cited his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and stated the drills are costly and send an inappropriate, hostile signal. He also mentioned South Korea's recent refusal to join the US in efforts related to the denuclearization of Iran. This decision follows North Korea's ballistic missile tests. Trump made these remarks on Truth Social on Sunday, noting that the scheduled military exercises were too late to cancel. The article states that US and South Korean military leaders had recently announced the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, an 11-day event similar in scale to previous years.

Mixed toneMixed3 sources
Neutral
Associated Press (AP)4d ago

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea

President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to significantly scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump stated on social media that the decision was made because South Korea declined to assist in denuclearizing Iran. He also described the exercises as costly and sending an inappropriate, hostile signal to North Korea, which he believes has been respectful during his time in office. The exercises, designed to enhance readiness against North Korean threats, were scheduled to begin this week and involved 18,000 South Korean soldiers. This move follows previous instances where Trump has expressed skepticism about these joint drills, previously calling them "provocative."

MeasuredMixed3 sources
Negative
Diplomatic(10)
Associated Press (AP)3d ago

South Korea hopes for talks between US and North Korea after Trump downsizes military drills

South Korea expressed hope for renewed diplomacy between the U.S. and North Korea after U.S. President Donald Trump announced he ordered a substantial reduction in annual joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump cited his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as the reason for scaling back the drills, which he deemed costly and inappropriate. The decision surprised many in South Korea, a U.S. ally. While the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises began as scheduled, the specific reductions remain unclear. Experts suggest Trump's move indicates a willingness to re-engage with Kim, but North Korea, bolstered by its nuclear program and cooperation with Russia, may demand significant concessions for talks. South Korea's presidential office stated it hopes this development leads to meaningful dialogue for peace on the Korean Peninsula.

MeasuredFactual2 sources
Neutral
The Guardian - World News3d ago

Trump cuts military drills with South Korea citing ‘very good relationship’ with Kim Jong-un – US politics live

President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back military drills with South Korea, describing them as "inappropriate and hostile." This decision is reportedly linked to a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong-un. The article also notes that President Trump reiterated on Monday that Iran cannot possess a nuclear weapon, citing a lack of progress in diplomatic efforts to resolve the Middle East conflict. He stated this goal on Truth Social.

MeasuredFactual1 source
Neutral
Al Jazeera2d ago

Trump says N Korea’s Kim has responded to his request for a conversation

US President Donald Trump stated that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has responded to his request for a conversation, describing the exchange as "very positive." This announcement came a day after Trump ordered the Pentagon to significantly reduce joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump also criticized South Korea for refusing to join the US-led war on Iran, questioning the value of US support for allies who do not reciprocate. He argued that these allies should contribute to US military operations if they expect protection, particularly given the presence of 39,000 US soldiers in South Korea. North Korea has not yet commented on the matter.

MeasuredMixed1 source
Neutral

Key Claims

factual

South Korea convened an emergency security meeting following North Korea's launch of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles.

— South Korea's presidential office

quote

The ballistic missile launch is a grave act that violates UN Security Council resolutions.

— South Korea

factual

North Korean missiles flew around 300km toward the sea east of the Korean Peninsula.

— South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff

factual

Kim Yo Jong condemned the US-South Korea military drills.

— North Korea

quote

Kim Yo-jong dismissed Trump's decision to scale back joint US-South Korea military exercises as meaningless.

— Kim Yo-jong (via state media)

Aug 9 – Aug 15

8 articles|4 sources
north koreaballistic missilemilitary drillssouth koreaulchi freedom shield
National Security(8)
Al JazeeraAug 12

N Korea launches ballistic missile as S Korea, US plan military drills

North Korea launched a ballistic missile towards the Sea of Japan on Wednesday, marking its second weapons test in less than a week. The missile, launched from the Wonsan area, flew over 700 kilometers, according to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff. This launch occurred as South Korea and the United States announced plans to commence their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military drills on August 17. Experts suggest North Korea's missile test is a response to the upcoming joint military exercises, signaling that Pyongyang is closely monitoring the drills and may conduct further provocations. South Korea has increased its surveillance and is coordinating with Washington and Tokyo regarding the launch.

MeasuredFactual3 sources
Negative
Fox News - WorldAug 12

North Korea launches another ballistic missile as US, South Korea prepare for military drills

North Korea launched another ballistic missile on Tuesday, its second in less than a week, according to Japan's prime minister's office. The U.S. military is monitoring the launch and consulting with allies, stating it does not pose an immediate threat. This follows a short-range ballistic missile test on August 5th, which landed in waters off North Korea's east coast. South Korea's military has increased surveillance and called the launches provocations that violate UN resolutions. These missile tests occur ahead of annual joint U.S.-South Korea military exercises, which North Korea views as preparation for an invasion.

Mixed toneFactual4 sources
Negative
Associated Press (AP)6d ago

North Korea threatens to exercise self-defense as it slams US-South Korea military drills

North Korea has threatened to exercise its right to self-defense in response to upcoming U.S.-South Korean military drills, which it has labeled a "rehearsal for an aggressive war." The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are scheduled to begin soon, with both allies describing their scope as similar to previous years and emphasizing their defensive nature. This warning from North Korea follows recent ballistic missile launches, which experts believe may be a protest against the drills or an effort to upgrade weapons systems. North Korea's Foreign Ministry stated that it will respond to threats with a new level of deterrence and exercise its right to self-defense. Analysts suggest North Korea often uses such drills as a pretext for weapons testing to advance its military programs.

Mixed toneFactual3 sources
Negative

Key Claims

quote

North Korea has denounced upcoming US-South Korea military drills as a provocation.

— North Korea

quote

North Korea accuses the US of pushing the world to the brink of nuclear war.

— North Korea

quote

The US-Japan-South Korea military cooperation is turning into a nuclear alliance.

— North Korea

quote

North Korea will respond to a new level of threat with a new level of deterrent.

— North Korea

factual

The military drills 'Ulchi Freedom Shield' are scheduled to start on August 17 and last until August 27.

Aug 2 – Aug 8

5 articles|4 sources
ballistic missilesouth koreanorth koreajapanmilitary threat
National Security(5)
Associated Press (AP)Aug 6

North Korea launches unidentified projectile toward waters off its east coast, South Korea says

South Korea's military reported that North Korea launched an unidentified projectile toward the sea off its east coast on Thursday. This marks the latest in a series of weapons tests by North Korea this year, with the launch detected around 5 p.m. from the Wonsan area. The projectile is described as a short-range ballistic missile. This launch precedes annual military drills between the U.S. and South Korea, which North Korea views as an invasion rehearsal. Experts suggest North Korea is focused on expanding its nuclear and missile arsenals and naval capabilities, seeking international recognition as a nuclear state to have sanctions lifted.

MeasuredFactual4 sources
Negative
Al JazeeraAug 5

North Korea’s Kim Yo Jong issues military threat over Japan missile test

Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, has issued a military threat towards Japan following its test-firing of a US-made Tomahawk cruise missile. In a statement carried by state media, Kim Yo Jong accused Japan of moving away from a defensive posture and becoming capable of preemptive attacks. She cited Japan's recent missile tests and participation in a US-led military drill as evidence of this shift. Kim Yo Jong stated that North Korea would adopt "additional military options" and respond in ways that would make Japan feel its security is in greater danger, aiming to make Japan "regret." She also accused the United States of enabling Japan's military buildup by supplying missiles and supporting tests. This statement is part of North Korea's ongoing criticism of security cooperation between the US, South Korea, and Japan, which Pyongyang views as threatening regional security.

Mixed toneMixed1 source
Negative
Fox News - WorldAug 6

US says North Korea missile launch poses no immediate threat, 'consulting closely' with allies

The U.S. Indo-Pacific Command stated that North Korea's recent short-range ballistic missile launch does not pose an immediate threat to the U.S. or its allies. The missile was detected launching from North Korea's eastern Wonsan area and landed in waters off its east coast, not reaching Japanese territory. This launch occurred ahead of upcoming large-scale joint military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea. South Korea's military has increased surveillance and is coordinating with the U.S. and Japan, calling the launch a provocation that violates UN resolutions. This marks North Korea's first ballistic missile test since late June.

MeasuredFactual5 sources
Neutral

Key Claims

factual

North Korea test-fired a short-range ballistic missile.

— South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff

factual

The launch occurred days before U.S. and South Korea begin annual military drills.

— null

quote

North Korea accused Japan of 'transformation into a war state'.

— Pyongyang

quote

North Korea's Kim Yo Jong issued a military threat over Japan's Tomahawk cruise missile test.

— Kim Yo Jong

quote

Kim Yo Jong accused Japan of moving away from a defensive posture and transforming into a military power capable of preemptive attacks.

— Kim Yo Jong