NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence

Norway crown princess's son to stay in custody before rape verdict, says court

2 articles
2 sources
0% diversity
Updated 10.6.2026
Key Topics & People
lung transplant *Haakon Høiby Norway Marius Borg Hoiby

Coverage Framing

1
1
Human Interest(1)
Legal & Judicial(1)
Avg Factuality:85%
Avg Sensationalism:Moderate

Story Timeline

Jun 10 Evening

1 articles|1 sources
custodyrape verdictnorwegian royal familyjeffrey epsteinpulmonary fibrosis
Human Interest(1)
BBC News - WorldJun 10

Norway crown princess's son to stay in custody before rape verdict, says court

Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit's 29-year-old son, Marius Borg Høiby, will remain in custody pending a verdict in his rape case. This ruling by a court overturns a previous decision that would have released him. The case has drawn attention due to revelations about the Crown Princess's past friendship with Jeffrey Epstein. Høiby, though not a formal royal family member, was raised within the family. He was recently permitted to leave prison for a meeting with his mother's doctor, as she is on a lung transplant waiting list due to a worsening incurable lung condition. The King and Queen have reportedly been shielded from these family crises.

Mixed toneFactual1 source
Negative

Key Claims

factual

Norway crown princess's son to remain in custody before rape verdict.

— court

factual

Crown Princess Mette-Marit had a three-year friendship with Jeffrey Epstein.

— article

factual

Crown Princess Mette-Marit was diagnosed with incurable pulmonary fibrosis in 2018.

— article

quote

Her consultant stated her condition had significantly worsened in the past three months.

— Are Holm

Jun 8 Evening

1 articles|1 sources
rape chargescourt orderrelease from custodycrown princesshealth crisis
Legal & Judicial(1)
South China Morning PostJun 8

Norway court orders release of ailing crown princess’s son ahead of rape verdict

A Norwegian court ordered the release of Marius Borg Hoiby, son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit, who is facing 40 criminal charges including rape. The court cited the Crown Princess's health crisis as the reason for the release order. However, prosecutors immediately appealed the decision, meaning Hoiby will remain in custody while the appeal is processed. Hoiby, 29, was on trial from February 3 to March 19, and his verdict is expected on June 15. He requested release last week due to his mother's serious lung condition, which has placed her on a waiting list for a transplant.

Mixed toneFactual
Negative

Key Claims

factual

A Norway court ordered the release of Marius Borg Hoiby, son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

factual

Marius Borg Hoiby faces 40 criminal charges, including the rape of four women.

factual

Hoiby requested release citing his mother's health crisis.

factual

Crown Princess Mette-Marit suffers from an incurable lung disease and is on a waiting list for a lung transplant.

factual

Prosecutors appealed the court's decision, so Hoiby will remain in custody.