South Korean and US militaries shorten drills by about half after Trump ordered a reduction 1 of 3 | U.S. Army’s soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in
Yeoncheon,
South Korea, near the border with
North Korea, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (
AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon) 2 of 3 | The U.S. Army’s soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in
Yeoncheon,
South Korea, near the border with
North Korea, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026. (
AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon) 3 of 3 | U.S. President
Donald Trump, right, meets with North Korean leader
Kim Jong Un on Sentosa Island in Singapore, on June 12, 2018. (
AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File) By HYUNG-JIN KIM Updated 3:52 AM MESZ, August 19, 2026 Leer en español Add
AP News on Google Add
AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit SEOUL,
South Korea (
AP) — The South Korean and U.S. militaries have agreed to shorten their drills at the U.S.'s request, South Korean officials said Wednesday, a move that likely reflected President
Donald Trump’s hopes to reengage with North Korean leader
Kim Jong Un but could undermine a U.S.-South Korean defense readiness. Trump had ordered his
Pentagon chief to “substantially reduce” the allies’ summertime
Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, just before they began Monday for an 11-day run. Trump cited what he said was a good relationship with Kim and
South Korea’s refusal to join the U.S. war against
Iran.
South Korea’s military said in a statement the ongoing drills with the U.S. would end Friday, not Aug. 27 as initially planned. It said the allies also agreed to downsize some joint field training exercises. Many experts say Trump’s move threatens to hurt combined U.S.-South Korean defense posture and eventually weaken their decades-long alliance.
Ulchi Freedom Shield is largely a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to hone the allies’ ability to deal with potential regional security threats like North Korean aggression. The two countries usually hold field training exercises during the command post exercise period. The drills and a similar springtime exercise are a central pillar of the U.S. -
South Korea alliance, which dates to the 1950-53 Korean War. But it’s also a long-running source of tensions with
North Korea, which has denounced the exercises as a rehearsal for war and responded with provocative missile tests. Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-
South Korea alliance, observers say 2 MIN READ 18
South Korea hopes for talks between US and
North Korea after Trump downsizes military drills 2 MIN READ 736
South Korea president stresses US alliance as many baffled by Trump order to cut exercises 2 MIN READ 736 This month’s drills were reportedly supposed to be held in two phases — the first part until this Friday with a focus on defensive operations in simulation of North Korean attacks and the second part until Aug. 27 to practice counteroffensive operations.
North Korea is typically extremely sensitive to counteroffensive drills.
North Korea hasn’t responded to Trump’s overture. But earlier Wednesday, its state news agency, KCNA, published commentary slamming the U.S.-South Korean military drills as “frantic” and “extremely dangerous” and vowing to completely frustrate its rivals’ hostilities. “The dangerous escalation of the war drills staged by the U.S. and its vassal forces is posing a more serious threat to the security rights” of
North Korea, the commentary said. “Our exercise of its right to self-defense will continue to completely neutralize the enemies’ military threat.” Many experts said Kim, now emboldened by his advancing nuclear program and expanding military cooperation, won’t likely embrace Trump’s overture anytime soon unless he’s promised bigger concessions. In response to Trump’s previous outreach, Kim suggested last year that he can return to talks only after the U.S. drops its demand of a North Korean denuclearization as a precondition for diplomacy. Trump and Kim met three times from 2018-2019 but their high-stakes diplomacy eventually fell apart over wrangling over a North Korean demand for extensive sanctions relief in return for limited denuclearization steps. HYUNG-JIN KIM Kim is an Associated Press reporter in Seoul,
South Korea. He reports on security, political and other general news on the Korean Peninsula. twitter mailto