Iran strikes towns near
Israel’s key nuclear site, at least 180 woundedIran targets
Dimona and
Arad, injuring more than 100 people, in retaliation for an attack on its
Natanz nuclear facility.Israeli soldiers work at the scene of damage after Iranian missile barrages struck
Dimona, March 21, 2026 [Ilan Assayag/Reuters]Published On 21 Mar 2026|Updated: 22 Mar 2026 01:05 PM (GMT)The
Israeli Ministry of Health says at least 180 people have been wounded in Iranian missile attacks on the southern city of
Dimona – home to the country’s main nuclear facility – and nearby
Arad, in one of the most dramatic escalations since the US-
Israel war on
Iran began.Iranian state television framed Saturday’s strikes as a “response” to an attack on
Iran’s
Natanz nuclear enrichment complex earlier in the day, marking a stark new phase of tit-for-tat targeting in the conflict, now in its fourth week.Recommended Stories list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4Photos: Aftermath of Iranian missile strikes near
Israel’s nuclear facilitylist 2 of 4Iran says US and
Israel attacked
Natanz nuclear facilitylist 3 of 4Iran war: What’s happening on day 23 of US-
Israel attacks?list 4 of 4Why the world should worry about
Israel’s nuclear doctrineend of listAt least 116 people were wounded in
Arad, including seven seriously, according to
Israel’s Health Ministry, with extensive damage reported in the city centre.Another 64 were wounded in
Dimona, with one in serious condition, the ministry said, with multiple shrapnel wounds, after several residential buildings were destroyed.Reports said the wounded included a 10-year-old boy.Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu called it a “difficult” evening for
Israel, and promised to continue attacking
Iran, where US-Israeli attacks since February 28 have killed more than 1,500 people, including at least 200 children, according to Iranian state media.An Israeli military spokesman said air defence systems were activated during the attacks, but failed to intercept some of the missiles, even though they were not “special or unfamiliar”.“In both
Dimona and
Arad, interceptors were launched that failed to hit the threats, resulting in two direct hits by ballistic missiles with warheads weighing hundreds of kilograms,” firefighters said.Al Jazeera’s
Nour Odeh, reporting from
Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, said three separate impact sites had been identified across
Dimona, with one three-storey building collapsing and several fires breaking out.A video shot by a witness and verified by Al Jazeera, which is banned from operating inside
Israel, showed a missile striking the city, followed by a large explosion.The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it had received no indication of damage to the Shimon Peres Negev Nuclear Research Center in
Dimona, and that no abnormal radiation levels had been detected in the area.The nuclear watchdog said it was closely monitoring the situation, with Director General Rafael Grossi urging that “maximum military restraint should be observed, in particular in the vicinity of nuclear facilities”.
Dimona has been at the heart of
Israel’s nuclear programme since its research centre, built in secret with French assistance, opened there in 1958.
Israel’s Health Ministry said at least 4,564 people have been taken to hospitals since the start of the war. Of them, 124 are currently hospitalised, including one in critical condition and 13 in serious condition, it added.
Iran on Saturday said the US and
Israel had targeted its
Natanz enrichment complex, though it reported no radioactive leakage.An unnamed Israeli official, quoted by The Associated Press news agency, denied that
Israel was responsible for the
Natanz strike, but the Israeli army has not released a full statement on the matter.Also on Saturday, the Israeli military announced it had struck a research and development facility at Tehran’s Malek Ashtar University, which it said had been used to develop components for nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.The military said it “will not allow the Iranian regime to acquire nuclear weapons”.
Israel is believed to have developed nuclear weapons by the late 1960s. Its policy of deliberate ambiguity, neither confirming nor denying their existence, was part of a deal quietly struck with Washington, which judged that an open declaration would risk triggering a regional arms race.Abas Aslani, a senior fellow at the Centre for Middle East Strategic Studies in Tehran, told Al Jazeera that
Iran has been pursuing an eye-for-an-eye approach designed to re-establish deterrence.“Tehran wants to reduce the gap between words and actions,” he said, adding that
Iran’s goal was to make its threats credible enough to underpin a new long-term security arrangement, not to simply force a ceasefire, but to establish deterrence.