close Video 3,500 US troops arrive in the Middle East Fox News chief foreign correspondent Trey Yingst joins 'Fox & Friends Weekend' reporting on 3,500 U.S. troops newly deployed to the Middle East for possible ground operations. NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Hören Sie sich diesen Artikel an 3 Min
Iran is responding boldly Sunday to reports the U.S. might be prepping ground forces for the next stage of its designs to root out its nuclear weapons aspirations and chokehold on the
Strait of Hormuz. "As long as the Americans seek
Iran's surrender, our response is that we will never accept humiliation,"
Iran's parliament speaker,
Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, said Sunday. Iranian forces "are waiting for the arrival of American troops on the ground to set them on fire and punish their regional partners forever," he added. "Our firing continues. Our missiles are in place. Our determination and faith have increased." TRUMP SEEKS WARSHIPS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES TO HELP SECURE
Strait of Hormuz A recent Washington Post report said the U.S. is considering a ground operation in
Iran. (Vanderwolf Images via Getty) The speaker's statements came after a report from
The Washington Post claiming the Trump administration and
War Department are preparing alternatives for Trump to deploy ground forces, perhaps to secure remnants of the targeted Iranian nuclear program or root out further Iranian aggression to free up oil tankers through the
Strait of Hormuz choke point. The Post reported Saturday, citing anonymous sources, that the
Pentagon is preparing options for potential U.S. ground operations in
Iran that could last weeks if Trump approves an escalation. The plans reportedly envision limited raids by Special Operations and conventional forces rather than a full-scale invasion, with possible targets including
Kharg Island and coastal weapons sites near the
Strait of Hormuz. "It’s the job of the
Pentagon to make preparations in order to give the commander in chief maximum optionality," White House press secretary
Karoline Leavitt told the Post in a statement, echoing remarks made during a press briefing this week. "It does not mean the president has made a decision." Fox News reached out to the
Pentagon for comment Sunday morning. RETIRED GENERAL CALLS FOR US GROUND OPERATION TO SEIZE IRANIAN ISLAND, CUT OFF REGIME'S 'ECONOMIC LIFELINE'
Reuters separately reported that the administration has considered sending thousands of additional troops to the region and that Trump has weighed the use of ground forces to seize
Kharg Island. Secretary of State
Marco Rubio has said the
United States is not currently postured for ground operations, which would give Trump "maximum" flexibility, but said objectives can be achieved without them. The prospect of U.S. troops entering
Iran remains politically divisive and militarily hazardous, with analysts warning that even a limited seizure of territory could expose American forces to sustained counterattacks and complicate efforts to end the war quickly. Washington has dispatched thousands of Marines to the Middle East, with the first of two contingents arriving on Friday aboard an amphibious assault ship, the U.S. military has said. LEAVITT SAYS GROUND TROOPS IN
Iran NOT CURRENTLY BEING CONSIDERED, DOESN'T RULE IT OUT The
United States said last week it had offered a 15-point ceasefire plan to
Iran, with a proposal to reopen the
Strait of Hormuz and restrict
Iran's nuclear program, but Tehran has rejected the list and put forward proposals of its own. With the
Strait of Hormuz effectively closed, there is also concern about shipping lanes around the Arabian Peninsula and the Red Sea after Yemen's Houthis entered the fray. US TROOPS BRACE FOR ‘HIT-AND-RUN’ GUERILLA ATTACKS AS 82ND AIRBORNE DEPLOYS TO
Iran, MILITARY ANALYST WARNS Trump has threatened to hit Iranian power stations and other energy infrastructure if
Iran does not open the
Strait of Hormuz, though he has extended a deadline by 10 days. Iranian threats against ships have kept most oil tankers from attempting the waterway.
Iran has agreed to let an additional 20 Pakistani-flagged vessels pass through the strait, with two ships permitted to transit daily.
Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report. Eric Mack is a writer for Fox News Digital covering breaking news. Fox News' Antisemitism Exposed" newsletter brings you stories on the rising anti-Jewish prejudice across the U.S. and the world." By entering your email and clicking the Subscribe button, you agree to the Fox News and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content and promotional communications from Fox News. You understand that you can opt-out at any time. You've successfully subscribed to this newsletter!