NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence
SRCThe Guardian - World News
LANGEN
LEANCenter-Left
WORDS485
ENT12
FRI · 2026-04-03 · 14:28 GMTBRIEF NSR-2026-0403-51127
News/Where are Iran’s power plants that Trump/US F-15E jet confirmed shot down over Iran as Tehran release…
NSR-2026-0403-51127News Report·EN·Conflict

US F-15E jet confirmed shot down over Iran as Tehran releases wreckage images

A US F-15E fighter jet was shot down over Iran, marking the first such incident since the start of the conflict. Iranian state media released images of the wreckage, initially claiming it was from an F-35, but aviation experts identified it as an F-15E from a US Air Force squadron based in the UK.

Dan Sabbagh in Jerusalem and Hugo Lowell in WashingtonThe Guardian - World NewsFiled 2026-04-03 · 14:28 GMTLean · Center-LeftRead · 2 min
US F-15E jet confirmed shot down over Iran as Tehran releases wreckage images
The Guardian - World NewsFIG 01
Reading time
2min
Word count
485words
Sources cited
4cited
Entities identified
12entities
Quality score
100%
§ 01

Briefing Summary

AI-generated
NEWSAR · AI

A US F-15E fighter jet was shot down over Iran, marking the first such incident since the start of the conflict. Iranian state media released images of the wreckage, initially claiming it was from an F-35, but aviation experts identified it as an F-15E from a US Air Force squadron based in the UK. US officials confirmed the downing and the Pentagon is conducting a search and rescue operation for the two-person crew. Iranian media showed footage of US helicopters, suggesting a combat search and rescue mission. Conflicting reports emerged, with Iran initially claiming the pilot was likely dead, then later stating a pilot had been taken into custody, while urging citizens to hand over any "enemy pilot."

Confidence 0.90Sources 4Claims 5Entities 12
§ 02

Article analysis

Model · rule-based
Framing
Conflict
National Security
Tone
Mixed Tone
AI-assessed
CalmNeutralAlarmist
Factuality
0.80 / 1.00
Factual
LowHigh
Sources cited
4
Well sourced
FewMany
§ 03

Key claims

5 extracted
01

The US Central Command denied Iranian claims that an F-35 jet had been downed over Qeshm Island.

factualUS Central Command
Confidence
1.00
02

Aviation experts identified the wreckage as belonging to an F-15E.

factualAviation experts
Confidence
1.00
03

Iranian state media released images of wreckage claimed to be from a downed US aircraft.

factualIranian state media
Confidence
1.00
04

A US F-15E fighter has been shot down over Iran.

factual
Confidence
1.00
05

Justin Bronk suggested a combat search and rescue mission is under way.

quoteJustin Bronk
Confidence
0.90
§ 04

Full report

2 min read · 485 words
A US F-15E fighter has been shot down over Iran, prompting a frantic US search and rescue effort for its two-strong crew, in the first such incident since the start of the war.Iranian state media released images of a tail fin and other debris early on Friday accompanied by an initial claim that a US F-35 had been hit by a new air defence system over central Iran and the pilot probably killed.Aviation experts said the wreckage pictured was in fact from a F-15E, from the US Air Force’s 494th squadron, based at RAF Lakenheath in the UK, though it could not at first be confirmed when and where the pictures were taken.US officials familiar with the situation later confirmed off the record that an F-15E had been brought down and the Pentagon was scrambling to find the crew. There was no official comment from the US military about the incident.Subsequent footage filmed in Iran showed a US C-130 Hercules and HH-60 Pavehawk helicopters flying low and at one point refuelling together, amid fresh Iranian speculation that the plane crew may have ejected and survived.Images taken from Iran showing helicopters refuelling. Photograph: Iran state mediaJustin Bronk, an aviation expert from the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi), said the use of the specialist helicopters “suggested a combat search and rescue mission is under way to locate and extract the two aircrew from the F-15E”.A social media account claiming to be linked to Iran’s Revolutionary Guards posted a picture of an ejector seat in a desert landscape, which appeared to be consistent with the ACES II type used in F-15Es. Bronk said: “If genuine, it would suggest that at least one of the two aircrew did eject safely.”Picture of an ejector seat posted by Revolutionary Guards. Photograph: X @IRGCIntelliThe presenter on an Iranian TV channel urged residents to hand over any “enemy pilot” to police and promised a reward for anyone who did.Iran’s Tasnim news agency reported that the pilot of the jet – still incorrectly describing it as an F-35 – had been taken into custody, contradicting Tehran’s initial claim that the pilot had probably died in the incident.Overnight, the US Central Command, which is leading the attack on Iran, had denied Iranian claims that another F-35 jet had been downed over Qeshm Island in the strait of Hormuz. “All US fighter aircraft are accounted for,” it said at the time.Up to now no US fighter jets had been lost over Iran during the five-week-long conflict, though three F-15Es were shot down by a Kuwaiti air defence system in a friendly fire incident on 1 March.An F-35 fighter reportedly had to make an emergency landing at a US airbase in the Middle East after sustaining damage from the ground. A US E-3 Sentry airborne warning and control system aircraft was destroyed at the Prince Sultan airbase in Saudi Arabia on 27 March in an Iranian strike.
§ 05

Entities

12 identified
§ 06

Keywords & salience

9 terms
f-15e
1.00
shot down
0.90
iran
0.90
us
0.80
search and rescue
0.70
air defence system
0.60
ejector seat
0.50
revolutionary guards
0.50
aircraft downed
0.40
§ 07

Topic connections

Interactive graph
Network visualization showing 51 related topics
View Full Graph
Person Organization Location Event|Click node to navigate|Edge numbers = shared articles