The Guardian - World NewsAug 13
DRC’s fast-growing Ebola outbreak spreads to sixth province
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has spread to a sixth province, Bas-Uele, following a death of a man who traveled from Haut-Uele. The World Health Organization head stated the outbreak is on track to be the deadliest in history, potentially surpassing the 2014-16 West Africa outbreak. This current outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, has killed over 2,100 people out of more than 4,500 cases since its declaration on May 15th, though sequencing suggests it began in February. The spread is complicated by unpaid health workers, rebel threats, community anger, and misinformation. Clinical trials for two potential treatments began last month.
Mixed toneFactual3 sources
Associated Press (AP)Aug 12
WHO says Congo’s Ebola outbreak is on track to eclipse the deadliest one in history
The World Health Organization (WHO) head stated that the current Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo is on track to surpass the deadliest outbreak in history, which occurred in West Africa from 2014 to 2016. This outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, has resulted in over 2,000 deaths out of more than 4,300 cases since its declaration on May 15, though it is believed to have started in February. The outbreak is characterized by its rapid spread in a remote, conflict-affected region, outpacing containment efforts. Unlike previous outbreaks, there are no approved vaccines or treatments for the Bundibugyo virus, and many new cases are occurring in communities inaccessible to health workers due to poor infrastructure, ongoing conflict, and misinformation. The WHO anticipates the outbreak's peak in approximately six months, with a possibility of it lasting up to a year.
Mixed toneFactual2 sources
Al JazeeraAug 10
DRC’s Ebola outbreak began months before it was officially declared, says WHO
The World Health Organization (WHO) stated that the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) began in February, several months before its official declaration in mid-May. Early cases were misdiagnosed as malaria and typhoid, hindering a timely response. This outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo virus, has spread at an unprecedented rate, with confirmed cases exceeding 4,200 and deaths surpassing 1,900. The WHO's regional director for Africa noted that responders are "chasing the virus" due to these delays. The outbreak is compounded by challenging conditions, including health worker strikes, rebel threats, community distrust, and misinformation, making it the fastest and deadliest on record.
Mixed toneFactual2 sources