By ROB GILLIES Updated 1:47 PM MESZ, August 20, 2026 Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit TORONTO (AP) —
Quebec’s premier said
Canada-us-trade-negotiations" class="entity-link entity-topic" data-entity-id="189541" data-entity-type="topic">
Canada-U.S. trade negotiations are “far from over” and demanded more information from Prime Minister
Mark Carney before deciding whether an emerging agreement adequately protects
Quebec’s dairy and forestry sectors. Premier
Christine Fréchette also pushed back against quickly restoring U.S. alcohol to provincial stores, saying
Quebec alone would decide whether American products return to shelves at the
SAQ, the
Quebec government corporation that controls most retail sales of wine and spirits in the province. “Information is missing before I can make the right decisions to ensure Quebecers are protected. I am awaiting clarifications from Mr. Carney,” she said in a social media post late Wednesday.
Canada and the
United States moved closer Wednesday to finalizing a trade agreement that would avert threatened 50% U.S.
tariffs. Trump has said the agreement was “very fair” to both sides and predicted U.S. farmers and manufacturers would benefit.
tariffs on about $20 billion worth of Canadian imports have been postponed until 12:01 a.m. Saturday.
Quebec does not have a veto over a
Canada-U.S. trade agreement, but it controls provincial measures such as whether U.S. alcohol is sold through the
SAQ. Carney asked provincial premiers during a briefing Wednesday to return U.S. alcohol to store shelves, Nova Scotia Premier
Tim Houston said, a step aimed at addressing one of the Trump administration’s key trade complaints. Trump says US and
Canada have a trade deal, but key terms remain unclear 4 MIN READ Prime Minister Carney says
Canada is ready to respond if Trump’s new
tariffs go into effect 5 MIN READ Carney says US trade talks are ‘nasty’ after Trump criticizes
Canada’s leadership 5 MIN READ The White House says the emerging deal includes a Canadian commitment to address restrictions on U.S. alcohol. But Carney cannot order provinces to restore sales. Fréchette’s
Coalition Avenir Québec faces voters in an October provincial election, adding political pressure as she weighs concessions affecting dairy, forestry and
U.S. alcohol sales. Houston and two other premiers voiced support for the direction of the talks, though Houston said whether Canadians would actually buy U.S. alcohol again “is a whole other discussion.” Eight of
Canada’s 10 provinces restrict or ban U.S. alcohol — measures imposed in retaliation for Trump’s previous
tariffs on Canadian goods and amid anger over his repeated talk of making
Canada the 51st U.S. state. Ontario,
Canada’s most populous province, is especially important. Its government-run LCBO, one of the world’s largest alcohol purchasers, sold nearly C$1 billion ($723 million) in U.S. products annually before pulling them from shelves last year. While details of the emerging agreement remain vague, Trump has claimed
Canada agreed to end
tariffs on U.S. agricultural products.
Canada currently allows a set amount of dairy imports at low
tariffs. Once imports exceed that limit, much higher
tariffs apply. The U.S. says
Canada’s supply-management system makes it harder for American dairy producers to gain full access to the Canadian market. Dominic LeBlanc, the Canadian minister responsible for trade with the U.S., said
Canada’s “agriculture sector will be well protected and we have maintained our tough line.”