In this photo released by the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Iranian Foreign Minister
Abbas Araghchi, center, heads to venue for talks between
Iran and the U.S., in Muscat, Oman, Friday, Feb. 6, 2026. (Iranian Foreign Ministry via AP) Updated [hour]:[minute] [AMPM] [timezone], [monthFull] [day], [year] JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu will meet with U.S. President
Donald Trump in Washington on Wednesday about American talks with
Iran, his office said Saturday, while
Iran’s foreign minister threatened U.S. military bases in the region a day after the discussions.“The prime minister believes that all negotiations must include limiting the ballistic missiles, and ending support for the Iranian axis,” Netanyahu’s office said in a brief statement, referring to Tehran’s support for militant groups, including
Hezbollah in Lebanon and
Hamas in the Palestinian territories. Trump and Netanyahu last met in December.There was no immediate White House comment.The U.S. and the Islamic Republic of
Iran held indirect talks on Friday in Oman that appeared to return to the starting point on how to approach discussions over Tehran’s nuclear program. Trump called the talks “very good” and said more were planned for early next week. Washington was represented by Middle East special envoy
Steve Witkoff and
Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law.Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel
Iran to reach a deal on its nuclear program after sending the aircraft carrier
USS Abraham Lincoln and other warships to the region amid Tehran’s crackdown on nationwide protests that killed thousands. Gulf Arab nations fear an attack could spark a regional war, with memories fresh of the 12-day
Israel-
Iran war in June. For the first time in negotiations with
Iran, the U.S. on Friday brought its top military commander in the Middle East to the table. U.S. Navy Adm.
Brad Cooper, head of the military’s Central Command, then visited the
USS Abraham Lincoln on Saturday with Witkoff and Kushner, the command said in a statement.Iranian Foreign Minister
Abbas Araghchi told journalists Friday that “nuclear talks and the resolution of the main issues must take place in a calm atmosphere, without tension and without threats.” He said that diplomats would return to their capitals, signaling that this round of negotiations was over. On Saturday, Araghchi told the Al Jazeera satellite news network that if the U.S. attacks
Iran, his country doesn’t have the ability to strike the U.S. “and therefore has to attack or retaliate against U.S. bases in the region.”He said there is “very, very deep distrust” after what happened during the previous talks, when the U.S. bombed Iranian nuclear sites during last year’s
Israel-
Iran war.Araghchi also said the “missile issue” and other defense matters are “in no way negotiable, neither now nor at any time in the future.”Tehran has maintained that these talks will be only on its nuclear program.However, Al Jazeera reported that diplomats from Egypt, Turkey and Qatar offered
Iran a proposal in which Tehran would halt enrichment for three years, send its highly enriched uranium out of the country and pledge to “not initiate the use of ballistic missiles.”U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Wednesday that the talks needed to include all those issues.
Israel, a close U.S. ally, believes
Iran is pursuing a nuclear weapon and wants its program scrapped, though
Iran has insisted that its atomic plans are for peaceful purposes.
Israel also wants a halt to
Iran’s ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region.Araghchi, speaking at a forum in Qatar on Saturday, accused
Israel of destabilizing the region, saying that it “breaches sovereignties, it assassinates official dignitaries, it conducts terrorist operations, it expands its reach in multiple theaters.” He criticized
Israel’s treatment of Palestinians and called for “comprehensive and targeted sanctions against
Israel, including an immediate arms embargo.”