As war on
Iran enters second month,
Yemen’s
Houthis open new frontThe Yemeni group pledges more attacks on
Israel as fears mount that the worsening conflict will spiral out of control.Key moments in first month of US-Israeli war on IranPublished On 29 Mar 2026Yemen’s
Houthis have attacked
Israel for the first time, a month after US and Israeli forces began striking
Iran, opening up a new front in a rapidly escalating conflict that has killed thousands of people, displaced millions and rattled the global economy.The
Houthis, who control much of northern
Yemen, entered the fray on Saturday with two missile and drone attacks on
Israel in the space of fewer than 24 hours. The Israeli army said the attacks were intercepted, but the
Iran-aligned group pledged to continue fighting in support of “resistance fronts in Palestine,
Lebanon, Iraq, and
Iran”.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Iran warns neighbours not to let ‘enemies run the war’ from their landlist 2 of 3Bloodshed in
Lebanon: Three journalists, nine paramedics killed in one daylist 3 of 3As war rages, Iranian politicians push for exit from nuclear weapons treatyend of listThe
Houthis had sat out of the hostilities until now, in contrast with their stance during
Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza, when their attacks on shipping vessels in the
Red Sea upended commercial traffic worth about $1 trillion a year.Their widely anticipated involvement in the latest conflict comes just as
Iran has throttled traffic through the
Strait of Hormuz, a vital chokepoint for about a fifth of the world’s oil, raising fears that the Yemeni group will again disrupt
Red Sea traffic by blocking the
Bab al-Mandeb Strait.Reporting from
Yemen’s capital,
Sanaa, Al Jazeera’s Yousef Mawry described Bab al-Mandeb as the group’s “ace”.“They want to make
Israel pay economically. They want to disrupt their trade routes. They want to disrupt the imports and exports in and out of
Israel,” he said.‘Civilians bearing brunt of war’The Houthi attacks came after US Secretary of State
Marco Rubio said that Washington expected to conclude its military operations against
Iran within weeks, even as a new deployment of US Marines has begun to arrive in the region, so US President
Donald Trump would have “maximum” flexibility to adjust the strategy as needed.With no immediate diplomatic breakthrough in sight as both the US and
Iran harden their positions, many fear that the US-
Israel war on
Iran, which started on February 28 and has since engulfed the region, will spiral out of control.The US and
Israel continued their bombardment over the past 24 hours, with the Israeli military claiming it had struck an Iranian research facility for naval weapons, while a series of loud explosions rattled Tehran as night fell on Saturday.Iranian media said at least five people were killed in a US-Israeli attack on a residential unit in the northwestern city of Zanjan. In Tehran, authorities said the University of Science and Technology was the latest educational facility to be struck, prompting
Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to issue a threat against Israeli and US universities in the region.Separately,
Iran’s Fars news agency said a water reservoir in the city of Haftgel, located in western Khuzestan province, had also been attacked.The Iranian Ministry of Health announced that 1,937 people have been killed since the start of the conflict, including 230 children.
Iran’s Red Crescent Society said US-Israeli strikes had damaged more than 93,000 civilian properties.“Civilians are bearing the brunt of this war,” Al Jazeera’s Mohamed Vall, reporting from Tehran, said.Devastation in LebanonMeanwhile,
Israel’s devastation of
Lebanon continued apace, as the Lebanese Ministry of Health reported that 1,189 people had been killed in Israeli attacks since March 2.The death toll has been mounting as Israeli troops have pushed further into the south, advancing towards the Litani River in their stated bid to wipe out Hezbollah and carve out a buffer zone along the lines of the “Gaza model”.Among Saturday’s killings, an Israeli strike killed three journalists in southern
Lebanon. In parallel, the Health Ministry announced that
Israel had also killed nine paramedics, bringing the death toll among healthcare workers in the latest war to 51.
Lebanon’s Public Health Emergency Operations Centre said an Israeli attack on the town of al-Haniyah, in the Tyre district of southern
Lebanon, killed at least seven people, including one child.An Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese town of Deir al-Zahrani killed a Lebanese soldier,
Lebanon’s National News Agency reported.Hezbollah, which attacked
Israel amid a ceasefire that
Israel kept violating in retaliation for the assassination of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, claimed dozens of operations against Israeli forces in the past 24 hours.Mixed messagesTrump has threatened to hit Iranian power stations and other energy infrastructure if Tehran does not fully open the
Strait of Hormuz. But he has extended the deadline he had imposed for this week, giving
Iran another 10 days to respond.With the US midterm elections coming up in November, the increasingly unpopular war is weighing heavily on the president’s Republican Party.Trump’s envoy, Steve Witkoff, said on Friday that he believed Tehran would hold talks with Washington in the coming days. “We have a 15-point plan on the table. We expect the Iranians to respond. It could solve it all,” Witkoff said.Pakistan, which has been a go-between between US and Iranian officials, will host foreign ministers from regional powers Saudi Arabia, Turkiye and Egypt in Islamabad for talks on the crisis.Pakistan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Ishaq Dar spoke with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi, late on Saturday, urging “an end to all attacks and hostilities” in the region.In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Dar had told Araghchi that Pakistan remains committed to supporting efforts aimed at restoring regional peace and stability.Dar also announced that
Iran had agreed to allow 20 Pakistani-flagged vessels to transit the
Strait of Hormuz, calling it a meaningful step towards easing one of the worst energy crises in modern history.