Islamabad’s statement comes after Trump threatens to bomb
Iran ‘back to the Stone Ages’, prompting a retaliatory warning from Tehran.
Tahir Andrabi,
Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokesperson speaks at the media conference in
Islamabad on April 2, 2026 [Abid Hussain/Al Jazeera]Published On 2 Apr 2026Islamabad,
Pakistan –
Pakistan intends to continue to nudge the
United States and
Iran towards negotiations aimed at ending their war, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs acknowledges “obstacles” in its efforts.Foreign Office spokesperson
Tahir Andrabi did not specify the roadblocks on the path to peace that he was referring to. But his comments, made during a weekly media briefing in
Islamabad, came hours after US President
Donald Trump threatened to bomb
Iran “back to the Stone Ages” if it did not accept Washington’s terms for a peace deal.Recommended Stories list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4Will China join
Pakistan-led efforts to mediate US-
Iran peace?list 2 of 4Trump ‘pretty sure’ of
Iran deal, but can
Pakistan-led efforts end the war?list 3 of 4Nixon to Trump:
Pakistan’s long record as backchannel between rival powerslist 4 of 4‘A welcome gesture’:
Pakistan seals
Iran deal to send ships through Hormuzend of listPakistan has been leading a multination effort to facilitate negotiations between the US and
Iran.“Despite challenges and obstacles,
Pakistan will continue its efforts to promote facilitation and dialogue,” Andrabi said. He added that
Islamabad was working to create conditions for “meaningful negotiations among relevant stakeholders”.He said the US and
Iran had confidence in
Pakistan’s role as a neutral intermediary.In a sign of that confidence,
Iran has allowed 20 Pakistani-flagged vessels to transit the
Strait of Hormuz. Andrabi called it “a harbinger of peace” and a positive step for regional stability.He did not confirm whether any Pakistani ship had so far sailed through the strait.The Hormuz route has been largely blocked since
Iran began restricting oil and gas shipments following the outbreak of the
Iran-conflict" class="entity-link entity-event" data-entity-id="89475" data-entity-type="event">US-Israel-
Iran conflict on February 28. The disruption has driven up energy prices and triggered widespread economic strain.Andrabi also pointed to sustained high-level contact between
Islamabad and Tehran. He cited a March 28 call in which Iranian President
Masoud Pezeshkian spoke with Prime Minister
Shehbaz Sharif, stressing the need to “build trust in order to facilitate talks and mediation” and praising
Pakistan for its “supportive role for peace”.Regional diplomacyThe briefing came just a day after Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar returned from Beijing, where he met China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi.The foreign ministers of
Pakistan, Egypt, Turkiye and Saudi Arabia in
Islamabad on March 30, 2026 [Handout/
Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs via AFP]The visit produced a joint five-point initiative calling for an immediate ceasefire, urgent diplomatic engagement to prevent further escalation, and the restoration of normal maritime traffic through the
Strait of Hormuz.Andrabi said the Chinese-Pakistani plan had since been shared with
Iran, the US and other stakeholders, receiving appreciation “across the region and beyond”.He added that the proposals were consistent with the outcome of the four-nation ministerial meeting held in
Islamabad the previous weekend — the foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Turkiye and Egypt joined Dar for those talks.Dar travelled to Beijing despite medical advice to rest after sustaining a hairline fracture during the
Islamabad talks, a move Andrabi said reflected the importance
Pakistan places on its ties with China. “The Chinese side expressed deep appreciation, conveying that China and
Pakistan are strategic cooperative partners,” he said.The
Islamabad meeting between
Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkiye and Egypt was the second such gathering in a coordinated regional push to de-escalate tensions. The first was held in Riyadh on March 19.Following those talks, Dar said
Pakistan was prepared to host direct US-
Iran negotiations “in the coming days”.“
Pakistan will be honoured to host and facilitate meaningful talks between the two sides for a comprehensive and lasting settlement,” he said on March 30.At Thursday’s briefing, Andrabi reiterated that offer, confirming
Pakistan had formally “offered to host and facilitate negotiations as part of its broader diplomatic outreach”.He said the next phase of efforts would focus on securing “meaningful negotiations among relevant stakeholders”.He appeared to acknowledge that
Iran — which has so far denied any direct negotiations with the US and has insisted that the mediation is limited to messages being passed between Tehran and Washington by
Islamabad — was not fully on board with the efforts to push the warring nations towards talks.“
Iran, as a sovereign country, determines its own policies,” Andrabi said.Afghanistan breakthrough?Separately, the Pakistani Foreign Ministry confirmed sending a delegation of senior officials to the northwestern Chinese city of Urumqi for talks with Afghanistan. It is the first substantive contact since
Islamabad launched cross-border strikes in late February.The Urumqi meeting on Wednesday focused on exchanging views on the current escalation, Andrabi said.“Our participation is a reiteration of our core concerns,” he said. “The burden of real process, however, lies with Afghanistan, which must demonstrate visible and verifiable actions against terrorist groups using Afghan soil against
Pakistan.”
Pakistan launched Operation Ghazab lil-Haq on the night of February 26, targeting what it described as sanctuaries of “terrorists” in Afghanistan, following what it called unprovoked fire from across the border by Afghan Taliban forces.After a five-day pause from March 18 to 23 for Eid-ul-Fitr, partly in response to de-escalation requests from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkiye, Andrabi confirmed the operation was continuing.“There has been no change in Operation Ghazab lil-Haq, and operations are continuing,” he said.
Islamabad has repeatedly accused the Taliban administration in Kabul of enabling groups such as
Pakistan Taliban, known by the acronym TTP, which have repeatedly launched deadly attacks inside
Pakistan, to operate from Afghan soil. Kabul denies those allegations.
Islamabad says its concerns remain unaddressed, and violence has surged since the Taliban’s return to power in August 2021.China has also played a role in facilitating engagement between
Pakistan and Afghanistan, including meetings in Beijing in May and in Kabul in August.