Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians in
Maldives sea cave 1 of 2 | This undated handout picture released by
Greenpeace Italia on Friday, May 15, 2026 shows
Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the
Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave. (Greenpeace via AP, Ho) 2 of 2 | This image released by the
Maldives-presidents-media-division" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129215" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives President’s Media Division, shows divers preparing to search for the four missing
Italian divers near
Alimathaa Island,
Vaavu Atoll,
Maldives, Saturday, May 15, 2026. (
Maldives-presidents-media-division" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129215" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives President’s Media Division via AP) 1 of 2 | This undated handout picture released by
Greenpeace Italia on Friday, May 15, 2026 shows
Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the
Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave. (Greenpeace via AP, Ho) 1 of 2 This undated handout picture released by
Greenpeace Italia on Friday, May 15, 2026 shows
Monica Montefalcone one of the five Italian scuba divers who died near Alimathaa in the
Maldives archipelago while exploring an underwater cave. (Greenpeace via AP, Ho) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share 2 of 2 | This image released by the
Maldives-presidents-media-division" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129215" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives President’s Media Division, shows divers preparing to search for the four missing
Italian divers near
Alimathaa Island,
Vaavu Atoll,
Maldives, Saturday, May 15, 2026. (
Maldives-presidents-media-division" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129215" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives President’s Media Division via AP) 2 of 2 This image released by the
Maldives-presidents-media-division" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129215" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives President’s Media Division, shows divers preparing to search for the four missing
Italian divers near
Alimathaa Island,
Vaavu Atoll,
Maldives, Saturday, May 15, 2026. (
Maldives-presidents-media-division" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129215" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives President’s Media Division via AP) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Updated [hour]:[minute] [AMPM] [timezone], [monthFull] [day], [year] MALE,
Maldives (AP) —
Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that rescuers have located the bodies of four
Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the
Maldives, four days after they were reported missing. Searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the
death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three
Finnish diving experts, supported by the
Maldives-police" class="entity-link entity-organization" data-entity-id="129217" data-entity-type="organization">
Maldives police and the military.“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a
Maldives government spokesman.He said the four were found “pretty much together.” “The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.The Divers’ Alert Network Europe, which deployed the three Finnish divers, said on its website that they are technical and cave divers with international experience in search and recovery missions, including operations in “deep overhead environments, confined spaces, and high-risk scenarios.” 4 MIN READ 4 MIN READ 3 MIN READ The team used advanced technical systems, including closed-circuit rebreathers, a system that recycles exhaled breathing gas and removes carbon dioxide through a chemical scrubber, allowing for “significantly longer dives,” the organization explained. The body of a fifth Italian — a diving instructor — was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 meters (160 feet) in
Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to
Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The recreational diving limit in the
Maldives is 30 meters (98 feet).Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the
Maldives on Sunday.
Maldives presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.Zampano reported from Rome. Krishan Francis in Colombo, Sri Lanka contributed.