Trump says he’s called off
Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of
Gulf allies 1 of 2 | President
Donald Trump gestures to reporters as he walks across the South Lawn of the White House, Friday, May 15, 2026, in
Washington, on return from
Beijing where he met with
China’s President
Xi Jinping. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) 2 of 2 | Bakhtiari nomads, wearing traditional dress, hold their guns during a pro-government gathering near the residence where former Iranian Supreme Leader
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, shown on a banner, was killed in U.S. and Israeli strikes on Feb. 28, in
Tehran,
Iran, Monday, May 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi) 1 of 2 | President
Donald Trump gestures to reporters as he walks across the South Lawn of the White House, Friday, May 15, 2026, in
Washington, on return from
Beijing where he met with
China’s President
Xi Jinping. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) 1 of 2 President
Donald Trump gestures to reporters as he walks across the South Lawn of the White House, Friday, May 15, 2026, in
Washington, on return from
Beijing where he met with
China’s President
Xi Jinping. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share 2 of 2 | Bakhtiari nomads, wearing traditional dress, hold their guns during a pro-government gathering near the residence where former Iranian Supreme Leader
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, shown on a banner, was killed in U.S. and Israeli strikes on Feb. 28, in
Tehran,
Iran, Monday, May 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi) 2 of 2 Bakhtiari nomads, wearing traditional dress, hold their guns during a pro-government gathering near the residence where former Iranian Supreme Leader
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, shown on a banner, was killed in U.S. and Israeli strikes on Feb. 28, in
Tehran,
Iran, Monday, May 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi) Add AP News on Google Add AP News as your preferred source to see more of our stories on Google. Share Updated [hour]:[minute] [AMPM] [timezone], [monthFull] [day], [year]
Washington (AP) — President
Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on
Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway.Trump’s announcement in a social media post Monday came as he had threatened the clock was ticking for
Iran to strike a deal or fighting would renew after a fragile ceasefire.The president did not offer details about the planned attack but said but he instructed the U.S. military “to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of
Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend he warned, “For
Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.”Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if
Iran did not strike a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement. Trump said in his social media post that he was calling off the planned strike at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for
Tehran and then backed off.Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President
Xi Jinping about the
Iran war.