NEWSAR
Multi-perspective news intelligence
SRCAssociated Press (AP)
LANGEN
LEANCenter
WORDS443
ENT12
TUE · 2026-08-18 · 20:23 GMTBRIEF NSR-2026-0818-103591
News/US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboar/US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for fou…
NSR-2026-0818-103591News Report·EN·National Security

US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific

The U.S. Navy destroyer USS Benfold experienced a major engineering casualty on July 24 in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in a four-day loss of power for its approximately 300 sailors.

By  KONSTANTIN TOROPINAssociated Press (AP)Filed 2026-08-18 · 20:23 GMTLean · CenterRead · 2 min
US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific
Associated Press (AP)FIG 01
Reading time
2min
Word count
443words
Sources cited
2cited
Entities identified
12entities
Quality score
100%
§ 01

Briefing Summary

AI-generated
NEWSAR · AI

The U.S. Navy destroyer USS Benfold experienced a major engineering casualty on July 24 in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in a four-day loss of power for its approximately 300 sailors. This breakdown left the crew without essential services like drinking water, meals, functioning toilets, and air conditioning. The ship required assistance from the George Washington carrier strike group, with the USS Robert Smalls providing meals. The USS Benfold was subsequently towed to Subic Bay, Philippines, for repairs and departed on August 8 with all systems functioning normally. This incident occurs amidst broader Pentagon concerns about quality of life and supply issues on naval vessels, with lawmakers also calling for investigations into conditions on the USS Abraham Lincoln.

Confidence 0.90Sources 2Claims 5Entities 12
§ 02

Article analysis

Model · rule-based
Framing
National Security
Human Interest
Tone
Mixed Tone
AI-assessed
CalmNeutralAlarmist
Factuality
0.80 / 1.00
Factual
LowHigh
Sources cited
2
Limited
FewMany
§ 03

Key claims

5 extracted
01

The USS Benfold was towed to Subic Bay, Philippines, for repairs and arrived on July 28.

factualU.S. Navy spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer
Confidence
1.00
02

The breakdown left the crew without drinking water, meals, functioning toilets, and air conditioning for four days.

factualU.S. Navy spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer
Confidence
1.00
03

A U.S. Navy destroyer, USS Benfold, experienced a four-day power loss due to an engineering casualty involving its generators.

factualU.S. Navy spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer
Confidence
1.00
04

Democratic lawmakers are calling for investigations into conditions aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.

factual
Confidence
0.90
05

The incident occurs amid Pentagon concerns about quality of life on naval vessels and military supply capabilities.

factual
Confidence
0.90
§ 04

Full report

2 min read · 443 words
In this photo provided by U.S. Navy, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) conducts routine underway operations in the Philippines Sea on June 24, 2022. (Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Arthur Rosen/U.S. Navy via AP, File) Updated [hour]:[minute] [AMPM] [timezone], [monthFull] [day], [year] WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. Navy destroyer with about 300 sailors aboard suffered a major breakdown in the Pacific Ocean last month that left it without power for four days, the Navy confirmed in a statement. The USS Benfold “reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power” on July 24, Navy spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer said in the statement. The breakdown meant the crew went without drinking water, meals, functioning toilets and air conditioning for days aboard the ship, Comer said. The incident, which only became public on Friday when it was first reported by USNI News, comes as the Pentagon grapples with serious questions about the quality of life aboard naval vessels and the military’s ability to supply ships during the conflict with Iran. Democratic lawmakers are calling for investigations into conditions aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln. Reports last week revealed that the ship, which has spent a record-setting 250 uninterrupted days at sea, has experienced shortages of supplies, including food and hygiene products, while crew members have suffered from stress and poor mental health. Comer stressed that there were no injuries to the crew of the Benfold, “who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response,” but that the ship needed assistance from the George Washington carrier strike group. The cruiser USS Robert Smalls provided meals to the stricken destroyer. 5 MIN READ 3 MIN READ 5 MIN READ Ultimately, Comer said the Benfold had to be towed to Subic Bay, in the Philippines, for repairs, arriving on July 28. The crew was then provided food and lodging off the ship. On Aug. 8, the Benfold left port “with all engineering, combat systems, and crew support systems functioning normally,” the statement said. Meanwhile, the ships from the George Washington strike group, including the aircraft carrier USS George Washington, were spotted heading toward the Middle East. The carrier was expected to replace the Lincoln, which the acting navy secretary, Hung Cao, said last week would be returning home soon. This would leave the waters of the Pacific without a U.S. carrier presence for an unknown period of time. The Trump administration sees China, the dominant power in the region, as “a settled force” that only needs to be deterred from dominating the U.S. or its allies and not the top global adversary that it was under the Biden administration.
§ 05

Entities

12 identified
§ 06

Keywords & salience

8 terms
naval engineering casualty
1.00
uss benfold
0.90
power loss
0.80
naval vessel conditions
0.70
pacific ocean operations
0.60
supply chain issues
0.50
uss abraham lincoln
0.40
military logistics
0.40
§ 07

Topic connections

Interactive graph
Network visualization showing 11 related topics
View Full Graph
Person Organization Location Event|Click node to navigate|Edge numbers = shared articles